The vision of SunOpta is to be the most innovated, vertically integrated provider of organic ingredients and healthy food solutions.
Ops - Operations Technician
FLSA Status (US):
This position is responsible for providing support to the leadership team and employees at the site. Performs fill- in duties that will assist the team in the production of aseptically packaged products in a safe, clean work environment. As well as all functions relating to operating the production equipment used to manufacture food products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership and ownership of the department, job responsibilities and job function.
- Serve as a source of technical knowledge and expertise for the production line.
- Assists in the development of standard operating procedures, trains employees and project development.
- Performs all jobs in the area as necessary to cover breaks, PTO and training.
- Assume the responsibilities of shift supervisor in his/her absence.
- Monitors and fixes faults as well as clearing any material jams in equipment.
- Conducts required quality checks to assure standards are met.
- Maintain clean and organized area around equipment.
- Troubleshoot and resolve operating difficulties involving area equipment.
- Perform routine and corrective maintenance on all machines.
- Support mechanics in appropriate maintenance activities.
- Accurately prepares and maintains all area paperwork.
- Proficient and comfortable using a computer.
- Performs a variety of quality and food safety checks to ensure standards and specifications are met.
- Prepare, distribute and maintain records and paperwork related to assigned tasks.
- Audit quality, safety and other processes.
- Works with management to ensure effective organizational design and roles are correctly organized, defined, documented and communicated to all employees.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures, train employees and project development.
- Communicate to all other facility personnel regarding any delays or problems that would hinder production.
- Must follow all employee safety, food safety and quality procedures and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
- Responsible for proper shift handoff with incoming/outgoing operators.
- Must wear all required PPE; such as protective gloves, aprons, face shields and safety glasses.
- All other duties as assigned.
Fill in as needed in the absence of the shift supervisor as a supervisor in training.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works with minimal amount of supervision
- Able to evaluate a situation and make a good decision
- A desire to succeed and good work ethics are required.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- High-energy, flexible, self-starter, hands on, comfortable with little or no administrative support.
- Attention to detail.
- Team player with a sense of urgency and a self-accountability mentality.
- Flexibility to cover other shifts and weekends, as needed.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree or higher preferred; or two years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Two to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in Food Manufacturing environment preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
Candidate must possess the knowledge and understanding of basic math skills including weight calculations, averages and percentages. Must be able to read and write in English.
None as part of normal job requirements; but travel may occur per management due to training needs and job related functions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Approximately; 100% of work is performed in a manufacturing facility which is not climate controlled and may contain allergens. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds, climb stairs and stand for long periods of time.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER