The Operations Manager will be a proven leader with an excellent record of accomplishment of achieving operational results in safety, quality, and production. The position will utilize a data driven waste reduction strategy to eliminate losses in assigned departments. The Operations Manager must possess skills utilizing employees within their direct span of control, as well as, working cross-functionally with peers and support group resources to achieve results. The Operations Manager will be responsible for leading Production Supervisors, Production Leads and indirect associates to meet departmental and overall company budgets and goals. Initial areas of oversight include the receiving bay, processing area, filling area and blow mold. Span of responsibility and accountability can be increased beyond this as business needs dictate by the VP of Operations. Responsible to develop manufacturing strategies to reduce downtime and improve product flow, utilizing lean value stream mapping to identify needed kaizen activities. The Operations Manager must be able to assess and identify equipment, process and technology upgrades needed. Accountable for employee development and training needs. The Operations Manager works closely with Engineering, Maintenance, Continuous Improvement, Planning, Quality, Safety, and Logistics to effectively plan, direct, and coordinate all activities of production to include safety, quality, production, and cost control. The Operations Manager assures that the highest standards of safety are followed to protect our employees and that all SOP’s and GMP’s are strictly followed to ensure product quality and consumer safety.
Essential Job Functions:
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Creates and sustains a strong safety culture with a high level of accountability. Ensure assigned departments comply with all environmental, health and safety policies and procedures. Identifies and eliminates hazards.
- Develop and track operational, compliance and other performance KPI’s, while creating and implementing continuous improvement projects and best practices for their areas with minimal oversight.
- Works with Maintenance and Engineering to troubleshoot equipment failure and repeat downtime events, while identifying solutions that reduce downtime in a cost-effective manner
- Responsible for ensuring customer orders/requirements are met with effective production schedules. Partners with supply chain to develop manufacturing schedules to meet planning commitments, and ensures resources are available and prepared to meet these commitments
- Drives ‘World Class’ production output without sacrificing safety, housekeeping, or quality.
- Responsible for working with finance department to establish and maintaining annual department budget to maximize plant profitability. Maintains adequate plant staffing and controls labor and other overhead costs.
- Works to understand, document, develop, and improve best practices that supports consistent manufacturing performance.
- Ensure the development, implementation and integrity of the policies, procedures and systems related to the areas of accountability.
- Directly and indirectly supervise staff of managers and hourly employees in various operational areas. Develop a strategy which maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees; developing employee growth opportunities.
- Hold all employees accountable for following standard work and meeting company core values.
- Supports SQF program by maintaining food safety and food quality through job tasks in relation to GMPs, HACCP, sanitation, etc.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal codes and regulations.
- Designated Food Defense Team Member.
- Complies with all company policies and procedures.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
The minimum required qualifications for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering or other technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment, with a minimum of 3 years in a supervisory role
- Experience in Pharmaceutical, Food, or Consumer Goods manufacturing
- Strong leadership skills with a track record of developing a team and driving a culture of accountability
- Proficient in creating and monitoring an annual budget, while developing cost-reduction initiatives.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to interact confidently and professionally with various levels of management as well as, Auditors, State, Federal and other regulatory agencies.
- Familiarity with lean tools, six sigma, kaizen, and other continuous improvement methods
- High level of proficiency of Excel, PowerPoint, Word, ERP/MRP systems
- Assist in the completion of special projects.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Serves as backup to the Vice President of Operations for all key responsibilities in their absence or as needed.