POSITION TITLE: Operations Manager
LOCATION: Traverse City, Michigan
The Operations Manager manages all functional areas in meeting volume requirements and ensuring that all necessary factors of production (ingredients, materials and labor) and maintenance are allocated to deliver product availability. They lead all functional areas in meeting quality and sanitation specifications and standards and understand and communicate Division and Bakery objectives and strategies through a through understanding of the operational budgeting, forecasting, profit and loss management and general business finance.
- Oversee the daily management of the operations supervisory staff on 1st shift, and shift mangers on the other shifts
- Oversee the daily management of maintenance department, including supervisory staff and supervisors on all three shifts.
- Responsible for budgeting and supervising project status of all maintenance projects.
- Develop and administer expectations with regard to safety, sanitation, quality, productivity, maintenance and operational budgets
- Assist supervisors and other managers in meeting plant goals and performance expectations
- Oversee the operations and maintenance staff to ensure safe working conditions for all employees
- Maintain professional working relationship with the union management and manage union issues for the operations and sanitation groups in a consistent and impartial manner
- Focus the energy and creativity of the operations, sanitation, and maintenance departments towards satisfying ongoing cost savings goals
- Participate in the development of long term financial and operational strategies in support of overall division goals
- Create an attitude of commitment to quality, safety and teamwork in all functional areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Developed skills in management of ingredients, materials and labor including adherence to established quality and sanitation standards.
- Ability to build and develop teamwork in a multi functional group.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously with numerous interruptions.
- Effective communication and listening skills.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Need to be flexible on hours worked, weekend overtime and daily overtime is expected.
- Must have good problem solving and recognition skills and be able to react quickly to dynamic business conditions.
- Must be familiar with union contract and plant.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
- 7-10 years of Supervisory experience with managerial experience in a consumer product environment, bakery experience preferred
- Position reports to the Plant Manager
- 1st Shift Operations Supervisors, 2nd and 3rd Shift Managers, and Maintenance Manager report to this position
- Computer proficiency
- Good knowledge of accounting practices
- Knowledge of Maintenance and parts and preventative maintenance programs
- Able to manage complex and time sensitive projects to satisfaction of different groups
- High initiative in problem solving
- Excellent communication skills
- Provide accurate and timely information when requested
- Develop and maintain working relationships with all levels of plant and corporate management in Engineering, Production Management, Material Control, Human Resources and Finance
- Develop and maintain professional working relationships with Chief Steward, Union President and Business Agent, and Union Employees
- Be proactive in cost savings projects in order to meet individual and plant goals
- Strong English verbal and written communications skills required
- Ability to communicate with personnel at different levels
- Requires extended time on the production floor during production and sanitation operations
- This environment includes dust, noise, wet floors, climbing ladders and potentially slippery conditions
- The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential job functions in a managerial/supervisory/technical/office capacity within a manufacturing environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and noise levels that exceed 85dBL.
- Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity and sustained certification of the SQF system
- Responsible for reporting and taking any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring
- Responsible for following and enforcing procedures outlined in the Food Safety Plan and the Food Quality Plan and any other programs that support the SQF system and other 3rd party audits
- During absences temporary coverage for this position will be determined by plant management.