Ensuring Johnsonville’s delicious sausage products are delivered accurately and on time to customers nationwide requires a commitment to detail and precision. As a member of our logistics team, you must be detail-oriented but also be able to see the big picture – to ensure all elements of the supply chain process are considered and accounted for during the distribution process.
Johnsonville Transport and Logistics
Operations Manager – Brokerage Business
At Johnsonville we use the business to build our people. We are creating a new business venture, “Johnsonville Transport and Logistics” and we have created a new position, Operations Manager, to build and manage this new business.
The Operations Manager is responsible for building a successful brokerage business from the ground up. This role combines operations management, sales and account management to meet the transportation needs of our customers. This individual will develop both operational and sales policies, procedures and processes that support Johnsonville Transport and Logistics goals for safe operations, servicing our customers (deliver HICS-Highest Impact on Customer Success) and profitable growth. As the business grows profitable, the operations manager will hire talent to build a high performing team comprised of Operations and Sales members. This is an opportunity to coach and develop members to reach their full potential.
- Collaborate with Johnsonville fleet operations team to reduce outside broker use, margin and cost on Johnsonville fleet backhaul
- Develop a business strategy to build a book of long-term business and onboard new customers
- Procure new carriers based on compliance, service, volume and lane density
- Ensure that all customer/resupply shipments are delivered on time and at competitive cost
- Collaborate with the finance team to develop efficient processes for accurate/timely freight payments to our carriers, ensure customer invoices are accurate and paid within JVL terms and P&L reporting
- Negotiate contract rates with our carriers to provide predictable cost, service and capacity for our customers, and transportation contracts with our customers
- Execute RFP’s with our carriers and participate in customer RFP’s
- Own achieving volume, revenue and profit goals to build a long term sustainable and successful business
- Build out a brokerage business comprised of an operations arm (carrier relationship management) and sales (customer relationship management) arm to achieve JVL Transport and Logistics goals
- Keep a pulse on the overall transportation market conditions, identify opportunities and challenges that may affect our customers and JVL and provide solutions to mitigate adverse cost and service impacts
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field of study, required
- Transportation, Logistics, or Supply Chain Degree, preferre
- 8-10 years of brokerage business/operations experience, required
- Experience building a brokerage business from the ground up, required
- 7 years of management, leadership, or supervisory experience, required
- Business development experience
- Preferably in: Consulting, Transportation, 3PL warehousing, Cross-Border Shipments, Drayage, International Logistics, etc.
- Transportation, Logistics and/or Supply chain experience within a food manufacturing organization, preferred
- Common carrier experience, preferre
Skills and Competencies:
- Experience developing relationships with carriers (temperature controlled)
- Sales, account management and customer facing experience
- Strategic negotiation and contract management skills
- Systems knowledge and experience; TMS, SAP and Dispatch technology preferred
- Willingness to be available after hours and weekends if needed
- Financial acumen and P&L experience
- Entrepreneurial mind set with a desire to maximize revenue and profit
Date: June 1, 2020
Location: Sheboygan Falls, WI
(Our office is about an hour north of Milwaukee)
Coach: Director of Logistics
(We don’t have bosses at Johnsonville. We have Coaches. They are there to help you develop your talents. They cannot make you run laps.)
Member Status: Full Time, Salaried
(At Johnsonville, you are not an employee. You are a Member and, yes, Membership has its privileges – like the ability to buy sausage at great discounts. Our more traditional benefits are great, too.)
Travel: Less than 20% of your time
About our Company
Since 1945, our family-owned brand of sausage-makers has invented better ways to make, eat and prepare crave-able sausage. Today, we are 2,000 Members strong. We sell our famous sausage in all 50 United States and more than 40 countries. We have a culture built on the idea that if we make developing your talents our top priority, great business results will follow naturally. We call it The Johnsonville Way. It has been our secret sauce for decades, and we hope you get to experience it for yourself!
How to Apply:
External candidate: Apply on-line only at: http://jobs.johnsonville.com
We value the diversity of our workforce and we embrace the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment. M/F/Vet/Disability
Johnsonville values the service Veterans and their family members have given to our country. We support the hiring of returning service members and military spouses.