WI Manawa Receiving & Bldg 30
Research and Development
Job Posting Title:
Job Title: QA Microbiologist
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Senior Food Safety and Quality Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Supports the Quality Assurance Microbiology Lab and Quality Assurance systems including: hold program; product protection and food safety programs; lab procedures; product specifications and standards; sanitation programs and effectiveness; HACCP and GMP programs; production labeling; product storage and distribution; and environmental microbiological monitoring programs. Key duties will include the following:
- Collect, analyze, and interpret environmental samples for microbiological evaluation to assess sanitation effectiveness in production areas.
- Perform, interpret, and report results of microbiological testing of ingredients and finished products.
- Complete core testing of Instant Non Fat Dry Milk products assessing factors such as Vitamin A testing, Solubility Index, Acidity, Butterfat, etc. to ensure required specifications are met.
- Acquire knowledge of instant plant milk operation to support Quality and Operations in addressing food safety and quality issues.
- Prepare and submit test samples for external lab analysis as required.
- Perform quarterly USDA sampling to ensure compliance with governmental regulations.
- Perform random internal allergen testing of finished products to validate food safety programs and procedures.
- Assist in the preparation of Certificates of Analysis (COA#39;s) of finished goods.
- Assist in the calibration and maintenance of laboratory test equipment.
- Manage positive releases in QA Supervisor#39;s absence.
- Recommend improvements to procedures, standards, and equipment to facilitate work and maintain product quality.
- Work effectively with Production personnel to ensure quality parameters are met and food safety is not compromised.
- Assist QA Supervisor-Microbiologist with tasks as needed.
- Serve as Supervisor designate in QA Supervisor#39;s absence.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Lead Milk Lab employees in QA Supervisor#39;s absence.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee must have knowledge of Inspection and Quality Control methods, techniques and equipment, and knowledge of typical measuring instruments (pH meter for example) and testing procedures. Employee must also have knowledge of computer systems (MS Office programs, SAP, etc.) and ability to learn new systems.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday from 8:00am - 5:00pm with the ability to extend or alter hours when necessary.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 1 year laboratory experience preferred. Bachelor#39;s Degree in Microbiology or similar field required. Minimum of 1 year experience in Quality Control in a manufacturing environment preferred.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
TRAINING REQUIREMENTS: Employee is required to train in General Safety, all standard training for GMPs, allergens, and food defense, and HACCP training.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to handle documents and computer, and talk or listen.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to laboratory, production floor and office settings, as needed.