Job Title: Material Buyer
Department: Supply Chain
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada
Manager: Supply Chain
The Material Buyer – Raw Materials (ingredients & packaging) - is responsible for ensuring raw material inflow and availability in production to support planned schedules and customer commitments on new, limited time offer (LTO), rotational and transitioning programs. This position will also manage wind down purchasing activities for discontinuing programs. Support of other miscellaneous material planning activities may be assigned on an as needed or special project basis.
Key Functions and Accountabilities:
- Manage raw material purchasing activities to ensure supply meets MRP “planned order” requirements to support internal manufacturing, and service on-time delivery of raw materials through an organized purchasing process
- Understand Production Schedule and component schedules/requirements based upon the production plan which take the following into consideration: capacity and space constraints, lead time, raw material availability, and staffing.
- Responsible for all aspects of order placement and day to day vendor management of assigned materials.
- Identify risks and ensure disconnects such as anticipated product shortages are continuously monitored, resolved, and communicated to the business as needed. Develop and present resolution actions with Corporate Procurement team.
- Manage supplier relationship by clearly communicating expectations and priorities, and monitor to assure compliance with Hostess objective.
- Track and report Vendor Performance measure; escalate supplier challenges and performance gaps to Corporate Procurement for evaluation.
- Prepare long term (3 to 6 week) purchase projections for suppliers.
- Identify and recommend floor stock arrangements with suppliers to reduce lead times and on hand inventory; manage and maintain once established.
- Focus to drive down the overall raw material costs through freight and order consolidation optimization, material liability and cost of managing materials.
- Support management and execution of program wind down and transition which impact raw material flows to minimize obsolescence costs
- Perform Inventory Analysis where required.
- Develop key reports, measurements, and benchmarks to improve purchasing and supplier management processes
- Maintain accurate PO information within Hostess system
- Support buying decisions and MRP parameters with new products on introduction of new SKU’s
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Highly analytical and a strong desire to enhance business processes
- 3-5 years of experience with raw material planning in an automated and systematic environment. Experience in SAP and consumer products company preferred
- Prior procurement/purchasing experience
- Ability to be flexible and thrive in a fast paced dynamic environment
- Excellent communication and cross-functional teamwork skills are a must
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- Ability to be an effective partner with bakeries, procurement, supply chain and marketing functions
- Good time management and multitasking skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications required
- Logility software experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Supply Chain Management
- Certifications in supply chain preferred (e.g. CPIM)
- Travel is estimated to be 10% on an annual basis