For more than 120 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has brought families together to share memorable meals and moments. Guided by a vision to engage, delight, and inspire consumers through trusted food and beverage brands that bring joy throughout their lives, Smucker has grown to be a well-respected North American marketer and manufacturer with a balanced portfolio of leading and emerging, on-trend brands. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker#39;s, Folgers, Jif, Dunkin#39; Donuts, Crisco, Caf Bustelo, R.W. Knudsen Family, Sahale Snacks, Smucker#39;s Uncrustables, Robin Hood, and Bick#39;s. In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Rachael Ray Nutrish, Meow Mix, Milk-Bone, Kibbles #39;n Bits, Natural Balance, and Nature#39;s Recipe. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about our Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
TITLE Manufacturing Technician Level 4 (Mechanical Emphasis)
LOCATION Longmont, Colorado
REPORTS TO Area Leader
- Responsible for the manufacture of consumer foods which comply with all food safety, quality and regulatory requirements.
- Understands and supports company and site safety policies and performs work related activities in a safe manner. Recognizes unsafe work conditions, coaches peers, and suggests new safety standards as appropriate.
- Performs the necessary activities to operate, maintain, and clean production equipment.
- Understands, follows, and improves documented operational, maintenance, and sanitation standards in a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) work environment.
- Performs equipment changeovers and sanitation activities.
- Performs preventive maintenance activities, work orders, and lubrication in a timely manner to maximize performance of plant equipment. Improves and modifies preventative maintenance activities as appropriate.
- Inspects, troubleshoots, repairs and/or replaces complex processing and packaging equipment, including:
- Mechanical components such as conveyor belts, bearings, motors, pulleys, shafts, gearboxes, etc.
- Pneumatic components such as air cylinders, diverters, hoses, regulators, etc.
- Pumps and valves
- Utilizes drawings, prints, and instruction manuals to determine proper steps to be taken for equipment preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs.
- Coaches other team members on technical skills, machine functionality, defect identification and resolution, and equipment repair.
- Active participation in training and qualification programs for designated line/area; participate in assessments, ensure effective training, and maintain consistent qualification standards.
- Uses continuous improvement tools, including breakdown elimination, to eliminate losses and drive issues to root cause; documents, communicates, and implements corrective and preventative actions.
- Serves as an owner of one or more technical, safety, or quality systems; responsible for building technician skills and providing ongoing coaching.
- Creates documentation as needed (SOPs, Job Aids, PM Improvements, etc.).
- Increases skills and knowledge by attending technical training sessions, participating in vendor visits and scheduled maintenance activities.
- Uses a computer to input and maintain accurate records and data; can utilize e-mail and online training resources.
- Maintains accurate electronic database of repair and maintenance activities, including parts usage and time tracking.
- Facilitates effective shift passdowns with the prior/next shift to discuss safety, quality and production issues.
- Lead projects to improve safety, quality or production results in a designated area.
- Works as part of a team and assists fellow employees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required
- Technical degree or training is preferred
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years mechanical/maintenance experience in a manufacturing environment is required
- Previous food manufacturing experience is preferred
- Able to work a 12-hour rotating shifts and overtime as needed
- Willing to work a flexible schedule as needed
- Willing to travel for initial training (2 trips of 8 days each)
- Able to read, understand, and follow documents such as safety policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and general instructions
- Able to understand and carry out both oral and written instructions
- Good communication skills, including the ability to give and receive feedback
- Able to provide leadership and prioritization in designated equipment area
- Able to set and meet goals
- Able to prioritize and manage workload in a changing environment
- Able to work both independently and on a team
- Works well with support personnel to maintain high standards for safety, quality, and reliability and drive improvements
- Able to make data driven decisions and engage others as appropriate
- Basic mathematical, statistical, and analytical skills
- Basic computer skills including email and Microsoft Office
- Able to learn company specific computer systems, including maintenance enterprise system
- Able to perform the key responsibilities outlined above in accordance with safety standards and practices
- Physical requirements of the job include the ability to:
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Stand, sit, walk, enter confined spaces, push, pull, kneel, squat, and climb
- Perform repetitive actions, reach, and feel
- Hear, speak, and see