We are looking for an Maintenance Technician to join our growing team! The Maintenance Technician (Level 3) role is a hands-on, equipment and chocolate process technical expert and is responsible for the overall condition and operation of the production equipment.
At Chewters Chocolates, We Make People Happy by Making Great Chocolate! This role is accountable for ensuring safe setup & operation of all process & packaging equipment on the production line, including; mechanical setup & preventative maintenance, instrumentation calibration, production line startup, safe equipment operation to KPI targets, production line shutdown, mechanical & process troubleshooting, changeovers, operational training & competency testing, CCP quality checks, advanced mechanical repairs, supervisory direction to machine operators & production workers, reporting, AutoCad, PLC & HMI application change management, advanced computer work, R&D support with recipe modifications and equipment parameters, participate in engineering design, FAT, SAT, project commissioning & new equipment startup and lead CI initiatives.
Successful candidates will have:
- 10 years’ experience in a batch process and high-speed packaging manufacturing - preferably chocolate processing, food, or CPG industry.
- Knowledge of CFIA & FDA food safety requirements; (SQF, GMPs and HACCP).
- 7 years’ experience in operation and mechanical setup of; blending, processing, molding, and high-speed packaging equipment.
- Excellent mechanical aptitude plus strong knowledge of instrumentation & process control – technical diploma required.
- Strong knowledge of LEAN methodology – Greenbelt required
- Knowledge of PLC & HMI software and programming.
- First Aid – Level 2 required, or willingness to obtain certification
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented with a high degree of initiative and flexibility.
- Excellent communication skills in English – written and verbal.
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook) and ERP understanding.
- Good mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership qualities, and team building skills.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing regulations; safety, quality, SQF, GMPs, and SOPs.
- Flexibility with shift work (days/afternoons), weekends and holidays as required.
- Accountable for safe equipment setup, process parameters, correct material usage & operational resources for all production activities.
- Manages and directs production activities; setup, startup, melting, molding, packaging, shutdown, changeover, troubleshooting, and repair to meet or exceed all KPI targets.
- Master Trainer of all production equipment & processes. Assesses & approves successful completion of all training modules.
- Owns asset condition and maximizes equipment lifecycle.
- Completes regular scheduled preventative maintenance and reactive machine maintenance repairs.
- Assist in the management & creation of SOP & Training Documentation for processing & equipment.
- Troubleshoot complex electro-mechanical and electronic systems to identify malfunctions and completes root-cause failure analysis, develops solutions, and implements corrective actions.
- Execute the installation, repair & calibrate of instrumentation, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic assemblies, and systems to meet operational specifications and tolerances.
- Responsible for up/downloads of PLC & HMI software applications.
- Generate & update SOP’s to optimize production work tasks.
- Lead Continuous Improvement projects & promote LEAN methodologies to achieve productivity improvements and waste reduction.
- Ensure efficient & safe utilization of equipment, supplies and personnel to maximize productivity.
- Accurate, real-time production reporting; machine logs, downtime reports, calibration & maintenance reports, repair requests, and accident investigations.
- Assist R&D on new product development & scale up bench test to production run.
- Plan and organize first time production for launched products
- Responsible for setting up date coders in accordance with QA specifications.
- Accountable for Food Safety; (SQF, GMPs and HACCP)
- Conduct instrumentation validation on meters and scales.
- Monitor process and equipment control parameters during production.
- Promote & grow plant floor Culture, Safety, Quality, Productivity
- Equipment inspection prior to start up and reporting non-conformities
- Other related duties as assigned
- Turning at the waist
- Able to work on foot for long periods of time and performing repetitive work
- Occasionally climbing ladders
- Wear protective clothing, such as coats, hair nets and safety shoes
- Exposure to machinery sounds and loud noise levels
- Ability to push, pull, bend, and lift product on a regular basis (typically up to 25lbs)
- This working environment contains allergens.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $36.66-$41.16 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
We have implemented multiple COVID-19 preventative measures including but not limited to daily temperature and health checks, wearing of gloves, face shields, limited occupancy for shared lunchrooms, as well as social distancing measures where possible.
- Operational and Mechanical Setup of processing and packaging: 7 years (Required)
- Batch Process and Packaging Manufacturing Industry: 10 years (Required)