The Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for the safe maintenance and repair of machinery and fixtures within the plant. Maintenance will be done in both a preventative and repair format. Applies knowledge of electrical/electronic and mechanical principles in determining equipment malfunctions and applies skills in restoring equipment to operation.
Essential Duties & Job Responsibilities
- Perform highly diversified duties to install and maintain production machines and plant facility’s electrical equipment.
- Plan, layout, install and repair a wide variety of complex electrical equipment including automatic machine and process controls, control centers and panels, relays, circuit breakers, electronic controls, tape actuated controls, and other equipment involving tube or transistor circuits. Exposed to high voltage electricity.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance on machines and plant facilities including air compressors, nitrogen lines, and lighting systems.
- Use a variety of hand and power tools, electric meters, and materials handling equipment in performing duties.
- Must be capable of wiring new offices, production rooms & warehouse spaces.
- Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas.
- Troubleshoots and repairs mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and electrical/electronic equipment including but not limited to programmable controls, power supplies, drives, gauges, and test equipment.
- Understanding of local and national electrical codes
- Installs start-up and shut down equipment in accordance with company safety procedures for machine activation and shutdown and in line with OSHA requirements.
- Advises operators and line mechanics on operation procedures and requirements for working safely with electrical/electronic and mechanical equipment and components.
- Maintains company-required performance and maintenance records for identified equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance functions as directed.
- Assists maintenance personnel with technical troubleshooting.
- Keeps immediate supervisor up to date on all ongoing projects, with regards to project status, completion time projections, and any problems that may have arisen during the course of the project.
- Maintains a neat and clean work area, and follows established tool and instrument control procedures.
- Ensure safety compliance with organizations policy, State and Federal regulations and oversee and ensure the cleanliness of the work environment
- Comply with HACCP, SOP, and GMP procedures and commit to Food Safety as well as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for Safety purposes
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education & Experience
- A two-year technical degree or accredited apprenticeship program or the equivalent in a technical field is required
- Associates Degree of Two-Year Technical Degree in Electrical Engineering or Technology or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in testing processes, strip chart recorders, multimeters, oscilloscope
- 3 years of experience required in a maintenance role within a manufacturing facility, preferably food and beverage industry.
- 3-to 5 years of proven experience with one or more technical experiences are required: Electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic, computer-controlled equipment, PLC, and HVAC
- Thorough knowledge of electrical/ electronic components and equipment including the use of special instruments for diagnostic purposes.
- Must possess demonstrated ability to operate shop equipment, shear, and band saws.
- Must be able to work well with all levels of personnel whether individually or in a team environment, and especially must be able to interface and communicate with line operators in order to assist with repairs and troubleshooting.
- Computer experience/operation and PLC programming are necessary.
- Ability to climb in overhead structures, work beneath machines, and in close quarters performing analysis and repair work.
- Must be highly safety conscious.
- Good math and computer skills are required
- Good verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of plant equipment and safety
- Demonstrate full knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices policies and procedures
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.