We are seeking an individual who works well under close supervision to conduct experiments and perform established procedures in a biological sciences research laboratory. The ideal candidate would have a background/interest in fermented food products, food science and laboratory equipment. Previous experience in the food industry is a must, preferred experience on Quality Assurance department. A bachelor#39;s degree in Food Science, Food Chemistry or Microbiology highly desirable. Equivalent experience considered.
PURSPOSE OF THE POSITION
• Perform routine analysis using microbiological and instrumental techniques with minimal assistance.
• Participate in research projects, method development and modification, provide support to Quality Assurance Manager, Food Technologist and others in the Technical services department as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform moderately complex conventional and instrumental analyses (i.e. microbiological, food testing, enzymatic analyses, shelf life studies, etc.).
- Assist in the execution of experiments which contribute to research programs.
- Responsible for safe working practices in the laboratory.
- Perform routine microbial testing and data review of raw materials and final products.
- Utilize written procedures to accurately perform routine testing. Contribute to Bragg standard operating procedures.
- Prepare Microbiological media and performs QC analysis on prepared media, including positive / negative controls (and pH if necessary).
- Document work and maintain laboratory records/notebook
- Plan for assigned workload daily and effectively schedule multiple assignments.
- Contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Maintain a clean and safe laboratory work environment.
- Work in accordance with current procedures and demonstrate a strong understanding in proper laboratory safety and housekeeping practices.
- Participate in validation activities as required to support product testing.
- Conduct non-conformance and out of specification investigations (OOS) under supervision.
- Understands and practices the intent of the cGMP#39;s and safety policies; conveys intent to other personnel if required.
- Performs laboratory equipment cleaning and calibration tasks as required to ensure a clean and effective laboratory. Schedule maintenance when necessary
- Be responsible for sending out samples, analyzing results, logging in the results and reporting out of trend/OOS data to QC manager.
- Assist in OOS investigation as required.
- Maintain working laboratory equipment and stocking the laboratory with supplies
- Follow and work in GMP requirement as directed.
- Work during off shift to accommodate testing requirement.
- Other work assigned by manager as needed.
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a biological science. Three years of work experience with one in the food industry, preferably in quality or research. Experience in microbiology laboratory desired.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, the ability to work well in teams, demonstrated technical aptitude and a strong work ethic. Good organizational skills. Be familiar with use, terminology and equipment used in a laboratory facility. Ability to work independently and to be a self starter.
Must be able to lift 25 lb (Notification required due to the Americans with Disabilities Act).