CSS Farms is a multi-state agricultural business with a mission of Growing Great Together. We achieve this by leading the way in stewardship and solutions for every field, every load, every day.
At CSS Farms we take great pride in doing the job right and believe our best work is achieved when we work together. Farming is our way of life, we have a deep passion for the land, our families, and our communities. We have a legacy rooted in solving hard problems and tackling new business ventures.
The Junior Agronomist in Winnemucca, NV contributes directly to the success of CSS Farms by supporting agronomic operations on a large-scale commercial farm growing potatoes and rotational crops.
In this role, you will:
- Support commercial crop production through regular scouting and hands-on field work.
- Monitor crops for insect and diseases.
- Monitor soil moisture and assist with scheduling irrigation.
- Sample plant tissue and soil during the growing season for fertility management.
- Sample soil and assist with fertilizer recommendations.
- Contribute to quality control on farm operations, i.e. seed handling and cutting, planter spacing accuracy, and irrigation system uniformity, etc.
- Perform test digs to estimate yield and monitor quality.
- Evaluate plant growth and maturity, including sugar testing in the field and in storage.
- Collect samples from fields and storages.
- Provide daily supervision of Agronomy Tech(s) and/or seasonal employees.
- Assist with fertilizer/chemical management and applications.
- Mixing/loading and/or applications.
- Assist with chemical/fertilizer handling and storage management.
- Perform bruise-free sampling and handling of potatoes.
- Ongoing familiarization with crop production methods and practices.
- Assist with developing and executing pest management strategies.
- Facilitate storage management.
- Assist/facilitate with the development and execution of crop management strategies.
- Support research and development efforts.
- Collect data for crop trials.
- Assist with entering and maintaining information pertaining to chemical/fertilizer applications.
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as needed.
This position works closely with the land and spends a large amount of time in the field. This includes:
- Walking and working outdoors in the elements.
- Driving across the farm and to the plant facility to move samples and other supplies.
- Regularly lifting objects (such as potato samples) weighing up to 40-50 lbs.
- A Bachelor#39;s of Science degree in Agronomy or closely related field.
- A private applicators license or the ability to get one in chemigation/fumigation.
- A valid driver#39;s license and the ability to pass vehicle insurance verification.
- Proficiency with computers and Windows programs.
- Excellent organizational skills and appreciation for the value of accurate sampling and reporting.
- Familiarity with irrigated crop production desired.
- Experience operating farm equipment beneficial.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Market competitive salary.
- Healthcare, Dental and Vision coverage as outlined in the company benefits overview.
- S.A./Flex spending accounts for out-of-pocket medical expenses.
- 401(k) plan options.
- Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance.
- Paid time off package.
- Ten paid holidays.
- Gain exposure to full farm agronomy and experience potential for career advancement in Winnemucca as well as other CSS Farm locations.
CSS Farms is a EOE
CSS Farms expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.