Department: PSSI Safety Department
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Salary Exempt
Reports To: Site Manager
Work Schedule: Varies by location
Amount of Travel Required: 0-10%
Positions Supervised: None
To be the leading food safety solutions company that owns the standard of health and safety for our PSSI family and brand protection for our partners
• Safety: We are committed to the health and safety of our team members and set the standard of food safety for the protection of our customers’ products and brands.
• Integrity: We speak with candor, act with transparency, follow through on our commitments and abide by our principles and values.
• Team: We respect and value our team members, embrace diversity, and invest in their development through coaching and training.
• Customer Focus: We strive to exceed our internal and external customers’ expectations through open communication, relationships, and continuous improvement.
• Achievement: We manage our business to provide opportunities and stability for our team members, and bring value to our customers, owners, and the communities we serve.
The In-Plant Safety Specialist position is responsible for compliance with PSSI’s safety procedures in the plant. This position must know, understand, and be able to communicate PSSI’s safety policies and practices to team members, and train and re-train team members on proper safety practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/JOB DUTIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation:
• Ensure PSSI operations comply with all PSSI company policies and procedures and customer requirements.
• Implement and maintain safety policies and procedures.
• Follow Site Management, Area Management, Division Managements, VP, and Technical Services directives regarding issues related to Safety, Health, and Environmental. Maintain regular communication with Safety and Technical Services team.
• Report all accidents and first aids following the established accident and first aid reporting SOP. This includes reporting “caught-in” type accidents following established protocol.
• Establish annual goals and continually measure in the following categories:
o Regularly scheduled and completed safety training.
o Improvements in safety awareness and training consistency.
o Improvements in safety performance metrics and knowledge of management and team members.
o Overall implementation of action plans, follow-up, and resolution of safety issues.
• Perform investigations at the plant level as needed. This includes but is not limited to
severe injuries, OSHA complaints, and when necessary to assist other PSSI departments.
Make sure all investigations are followed up with and an action plan is implemented
• Perform weekly safety audits, assist operations with corrective actions, and report findings
by email to appropriate PSSI management.
• Ability to identify and eliminate hazards in the workplace.
• Maintain regular communication with the Site Manager.
• Exercises independent judgment and issues disciplinary action for safety violations.
• Authority to terminate team members based on PSSI disciplinary policy for safety
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (“PPE”)
Bachelor’s degree in the safety-related field or equivalent job experience.