Formulation Scientist - 12-month Contract
Reports To: Formulation Project Manager
Department: Research & Development
Location: West Haven, CT
Exempt Status: Exempt
At Glanbia Nutritionals Inc., our portfolio centers around dairy and non-dairy nutritional ingredients. We co-innovate and deliver ingredient solutions and precision premixes for use in the mainstream food and beverage, infant and clinical, and functional nutrition markets. We are the number one provider of whey-based nutritional ingredients globally and the number one producer of American-style cheddar cheese. Our protein systems have transformed the bar and beverage categories bringing increased levels of protein, cleaner labels and greater product functionality to market. We have a direct presence in 21 countries, with manufacturing facilities in the US, Germany and China, and international sales and technical offices around the world.
Glanbia is searching for a part-time, temporary Formulation Scientist who will assist in product research and development activities to drive the Premix business. This position would provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders, including Customers, Operations, Quality, and Procurement teams. The ideal candidate would have extensive knowledge of Food and Supplement ingredients, broad understanding of Food Safety and Quality concepts, and be able to work independently to prioritize initiatives and meet project milestones.
This is a full-time contract position with benefits. Estimated project length is 12 months and will be evaluated at that time to determine if an extension is needed.
- Develops complex combination of vitamin and mineral premixes to meet customer needs.
- Communicates and follows up with customers and sales regarding product development projects.
- Supports customers, sales and production as required and or needed.
- Represents R & D support at customer sites as required and or needed.
- Writes product specification sheets and other related documents.
- Stays current with food fortification market trends and apply knowledge to product / prototype development.
- Performs organoleptic accelerated product comparative analysis to meet customer s needs.
- Performs mathematical and formulation calculations.
- Writes complex batch sheets used in the production of customer specific products.
- Checks own work and work of others to ensure 100% accuracy of formulations and other critical documentation.
- Plans, prioritizes and completes multiple tasks effectively and efficiently on a timely basis.
- Represents R&D interests in company-wide Quality efforts.
- Participates in training of newly hired personnel and interns.
- Willing to get more training via websites or life situations.
Bachelor of Science degree, Masters preferred
Minimum of 1-3 years of technical experience in the nutritional or dietary supplement industries. Preferred 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
Understanding of food and supplement formulation concepts, functions of excipients and basic testing parameters
Understanding of regulatory compliance with cGMP, FSMA, HAACP
Understanding of food and supplement technical specifications, industry monographs, manufacturing records, and other product documentation
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Knowledge of Food R&D fundamentals and ingredient interactions within complex systems.
- Knowledge of Food Processing and subsequent impact on food quality
- Knowledge of Vitamin and Mineral functionality in foods
- Awareness of relevant domestic and international food regulations, demonstrated familiarity operating within them.
- Quick to learn new software and concepts
- Strong planning, time management and organizational skills to ensure completion of tasks to meet project timelines
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), to include speaking clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and customers in a professional manner.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Able to work in a team environment applying team-based problem solving skills
Language, Computer & Numeracy:
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint/Teams
TYPICAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 20 pounds.
Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
Involves moderate physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
Should be able to identify and distinguish colors, see clearly at 20 inches or closer and 20 feet or more, observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point, judge distances and spatial relationships, and adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
Typical Environmental Conditions
May be exposed to moderate noise levels (i.e. office equipment, light traffic).
May be exposed to moderate to high noise levels (i.e. production equipment, forklifts, heavy traffic).
May be exposed to humidity, intense heat and cold, outdoor weather conditions, and fumes and toxic chemicals.
May work in areas with mechanical moving parts, above ground with risk of fall, or areas with risk of electrical shock.
- Minimal overnight travel (up to 10%) by land and/or air.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
At Glanbia, we celebrate diversity, because we know that our individual strengths make us stronger together. We welcome and encourage interest from a wide variety of candidates, and we will give your application consideration, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
At Glanbia our culture will celebrate individuality, knowing that together we are more.
Are you someone who likes to make it happen, make it better and make it fun? If so, our company offers you an excellent opportunity to do really interesting work and develop a career in a dynamic and innovative environment that is all about making you and our business successful.