Perdue Foods is part of Perdue Farms, a family-owned company heading into its second century of growth and innovation. With a goal of becoming the most trusted name in premium proteins, we create products for consumers and for retail and foodservice customers around the globe, while changing the way animals are raised for food.
The Food Technologist is responsible for supporting the development of food products in support of the Company business needs. This person independently plans and conducts multiple project assignments. Their project scope willinclude supporting new products, quality improvements of existing products, cost optimization of existing products and technical brand maintenance.
Principal and Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Promotes applicable safety, regulatory, GMP requirements in lab, pilot plant, and manufacturing facilities. Assists in writing of new policy and procedures as needed.
- Executes with little to no guidance multiple projects to grow top line volume in support of new product development as a % of revenue goals. Conducts and leads required lab, pilot plant and plant experimentation.
- Expert in product development process including: Materials, food processes, sensory testing, customer & consumer testing, NPD stage gate process, costing, plant trials commercialization, and related processes.
- Documents all development work accurately. This includes written documentation of lab work, product showings, and plant trials in a timely manner with little to no guidance.
- Prepares accurate and timely specifications for all products developed. This includes: materials, formula, process and finished product with little to no guidance.
- The technical customer and consumer expert for assigned products and channels. Understands who the customer and consumer is, why and how they use our products.
- Interacts cross-functionally with Marketing, Purchasing, QA and Operations to successfully implement new product developments.
- Leads Product Showings to evaluate products developed and competition.
- Mentors junior technical personnel.
- Interacts with customers as needed.
- Bachelors degree in Food Science, Meat Science, Packaging, Process Engineering or related discipline
- Bachelors with 3-5 years - Master#39;s Degree a plus!
- Must have technical problem solving skills, excellent oral, written, communication and planning skills.
- Ability to coordinate multi-task projects; results oriented; prior supervisory experience.
- Expert Knowledge of the product development process from idea generation, bench top, scale up and commercialization.
- Ability to influence necessary cross-functional partners for successful implementation of projects.
- Knowledge of ingredients including functionality, allergen considerations and cost.
- Understanding of food manufacturing processes and the sequence of events necessary to convert raw materials to finished products.
- Expert in poultry processing and/or related food product systems.
- Able to travel up to 25% of the time.
Environmental Factors and Physical Requirements
- May need to move light equipment or supplies from one place to another.
- May need to access files, supplies and equipment.
- When in a plant environment:
- Exposure primarily consists of wet and moist floors which include metal and plastic grating surfaces.
- May be exposed to temperatures of 28 degrees to 100 degrees Fahrenheit with both ambient and 100% humidity.
- May handle product 25 degrees to 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
- May be exposed to noise ranges of 50 db to 110 db.
- May be exposed to all chemicals used in poultry, food, processing facility.
Must wear and use protective and safety equipment required for the job as directed by the Company.
Perdue Farms, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.