Our client is a producer of value-added ingredients for the food and beverage industry. We are looking to hire an enthusiastic, intelligent, and motivated Food Scientist with an applications background in Prepared Foods (beverages, snacks, confections, bakery, meat/seafood/poultry, entrees, pet food, etc.). Someone who has a technical background in Food Science, Microbiology, or Chemistry but yet enjoys interacting with customers and helping to solve complex food formulation issues for them.
Position will support an R&D team to develop both standard and innovative products to demonstrate Company’s product line in support of existing and new business growth opportunities at targeted customers. Provide leadership in a team environment and actively contribute ideas and physical assistance while further developing an expertise in the use of flavors, colors, and food ingredients. Effectively communicate the features and benefits of Company’s product lines and assists in delivering presentations to customers, sales and internal management.
- Provide technical support for the Business Unit including travel to customers for technical assistance as necessary, as well as attending technical/trade conferences
- Develop technical solutions to customer-driven and marketing-driven food and beverage projects from bench-top to commercial scale levels. This requires being able to perform in the laboratory, the pilot plant, and in plant processing environments
- Prior experience developing new products in the areas of MEAT and/or DAIRY are desired.
- Experience with the development and formulation of stable emulsion systems.
- Perform tests on current production materials as required by customer requests or assist Quality with evaluation of product complaints.
- Work with Sales to assist customers with technical service.
- Maintain integrity of R&D laboratory environment through accurate test design and set up, good sanitary practices and maintenance of equipment in good working order.
- Maintain accurate files of all R&D work completed. Maintain all project files and Lab Notebooks as required.
- Complete weekly updates in Salesforce and communicate project status to Sales.
- Develop and Identify tests to allow Quality Control to evaluate functionality of finished goods and new products.
- Identify and implement product improvement and cost improvements.
- Assessment of competitive product lines.
- Carry out sensory analysis, physical testing and other methodology to fully test products.
- Stay current with new technology and developments and maintain professional contacts with individuals and organizations. Build and maintain relationships with current and potential customers.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Food Science is required. A Masters or a PhD degree is preferred
- A minimum of 2 years experience in New Product Development / Applications. Primary experience desired: meat/seafood/poultry and/or dairy products. Experience with beverages, snacks, confections, bakery, entrees, or pet food are desireable as well.
- Excellent benchtop product development skills required.
- Experience with color and ingredient applications, program/system planning, statistical reporting/analysis and cost/benefit analysis preferred.
- In-depth understanding and practical experience with production/manufacturing preferred.
- Ability to apply common sense to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exits.
- Work requires excellent written, verbal and group presentation communication skills.
- Collaborative, problem solving, good communication and ability to work with minimal supervision, as well as with others are skills for good job performance.
- Detail oriented and multitasking is a must.
- Complete computer skills required (Microsoft Office, Genesis, etc).
- Would be nice to have: Prior experience with EXTRUSION of human food or pet food. A high degree of familiarity with extrusion processing equipment.
We have excellent room for promotion and advancement and top-notch benefits.
Relocation assistance will be provided as needed.
If you are interested and qualified, please apply today!!