Supervise and lead a team of individuals, in conjunction with the Quality Manager, to build and maintain an effective culture of food safety and quality within the facility. Partner with Operations to ensure finished product is food safe, meets finished product specifications, and results in a high level of customer satisfaction. Provide expertise and governance in establishing/executing food safety, sanitation and hygiene programs for the facility. Support continuous improvement activities through risk assessment and problem-solving initiatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Compliance to regulatory requirements and internal FSQ programs/standards
- Assist Quality Manager in the development, implementation and maintenance of food safety and quality programs at the facility to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, corporate standards and customer expectations
- Partner with Operations to continuously build and strengthen the facility s food safety and quality culture
- Provide expertise and governance for cleaning/sanitation of production equipment and facility to meet regulatory requirements, DFA corporate standards and customer expectations
- Partner with Operations and Warehouse teams to write, review, implement and maintain cleaning/sanitation SOPs, master sanitation schedules (MSS), and cleaning validation/verification protocols
- Provide regular training, instruction, and guidance to the facility concerning matters of food safety, sanitation and hygiene
- Provide oversight for the plant s integrated pest management (IPM) program; manage relationship with the facility s pest control operator and partner with plant teams to develop/implement corrective actions to address events and unfavorable trends
- Assist Quality Manager and partner with Operations for the hygiene and pathogen environmental monitoring program including oversight of sample collection, investigation/corrective actions and mitigation activities
- Monitor and report key performance indicators related to food safety, sanitation and hygiene to identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Partner with Engineering and Maintenance teams during capital projects and maintenance activities to comply with sanitary/hygienic design standards; support development/execution of cleaning validations, food safety risk assessments and product protection plans for these projects/activities
- Lead and direct cross-functional plant teams in the development of the facility s food safety plans and food defense plans
- Participate in plant cross-functional internal audit teams to assess compliance with internal procedures, corporate guidelines and regulatory/customer requirements
- Initiate and drive continuous improvement activities, and partner with plant cross-functional teams during problem solving exercises to resolve persistent challenges while supporting the implementation of new procedures or processes
- Support customer, regulatory and third-party quality and food safety audits.
- Investigate, find solutions, and implement remedies to food safety issues and customer complaints.
- Support process to achieve/maintain certifications such as SQF, Kosher, Halal, and Organic.
- Supervise hourly employee s activities to meet or exceed the standards and specifications established by Quality Assurance and the organization.
- Ensure all process, product, or infrastructure changes are understood by employees in a timely fashion.
- Identify and retain highly effective personnel through proper selection, training, and establishing expectations
- Ensure good business communication practices are engaged at all levels to ensure key stakeholders are well informed and can appropriately respond
- Serve as a backup for QA Manager in his / her absence
- Foster a positive and effective work culture with direct reports
- Collaborate with the laboratory team for sampling and testing requirements to support food safety compliance, including cleaning verification/validation and hygiene/pathogen environmental monitoring program
- Support the analysis of food safety data to assess product performance and utilize SPC tools to identify and react to unfavorable trends
The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required.Other duties may be assigned as required.