Accomplished engineering professional with expertise in designing and optimizing packaging equipment and systems for performance, safety, and quality. The right individual can work independently in a fast-paced project environment focused on innovation and flexibility. Successful and skilled in communicating, managing and negotiating with all levels of plant and corporate: operations, management, finance, Quality Assurance, Research & Innovation, Tech Services, Procurement and directing efforts of preferred vendors, contractors, OEMs and integrators.
- Understands the relationship between packaging materials / design and packaging equipment and systems. Works closely with packaging design teams to ensure optimal equipment performance.
- Identifying and implementing solutions that provide design flexibility and performance
- Provide engineering leadership and expertise through all phases of projects to deliver packaging initiatives, throughput, quality, cost and reliability improvement efforts.
- Manage OEMs and Integrators for detailed engineering, equipment fabrication, FATs, SATs, and installation.
- Strong leadership, problem solving, and collaboration skills. Ability to reduce complex problems to simple set of solutions.
- Interface with all levels of plant and corporate personnel Marketing, Research & Innovation, QA Procurement, and Legal departments.
- Ensure adherence to company standards/norms for equipment design and safety
- Develops relationships and actions plans with plant leadership teams, engineering managers, maintenance personnel, and operators to provide input into the design and implementation of packaging equipment projects seamlessly into production
- Excels in the management of concurrent multiple projects
- Negotiate contracts with Engineering Managers, Legal and Procurement to ensure performance guarantees are achievable and met.
- Delegates project tasks ensuring that key project initiatives/objectives, scope, budget and timelines are uninterrupted and met
- Utilize contracted resources to ensure the correct expertise is fully utilized to achieve project scope
- Technical expertise with food & beverage packaging equipment that supports capital project execution, including technical leadership in scope, design, alternatives analysis, layout, equipment selection, training, procedures, installation, startup, performance acceptance, and successful turnover to plant operations.
- Drives the implementation of those best practices and focused performance improvement initiatives.
- Assess existing equipment and technology and propose improvement projects
- Evaluate new practices and technology (internal and external) to develop new standards of performance to deploy
- Drives the approval of new technical or operational standards developed internally
- Conducts pilot and proof of principle trials to vet new technologies and designs
- Formalize new standards (playbook)
- Coordinate the deployment
- Demonstrated engineering technical base refined with broad corporate and plant experience
- A focus on packaging equipment and systems
- Strong general knowledge of plant operations
- Exposure to liquid fill, ESL, aseptic and food safety regulations – PMO, 3A and FDA
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering discipline from accredited college or university (Master Degree preferred)
- Fifteen (15)+ years in engineering project management required, including seven (7) years in CPG beverage/food manufacturing strongly, preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess an intuitive, common sense approach to addressing technical opportunities
- Demonstrated general know-how & how-to innovate
- Fast moving consumer packaging
- Packaging lines