Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We#39;re proud to provide an essential link in the food and beverage industry supply chain, and to play our part in ensuring families across the US and overseas can sitdown together to eat.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 155+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, NewZealand, China, Argentina, and Canada. In North America we have over 11,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Responsible for all Construction and Deployment cost information that goes into an Investment Memo to the executive steering committee and board of directors. Strategizes pricing and collect historical data of all Americold build costs creating a master database. Works with the solutions teams, Design Engineering and SCS, to support accuracy of cost information for development jobs that may or may not cross the finish line, in a 3PL environment.
- Perform accurate, thorough and timely estimates using company format and coding for WBS.
- Have knowledge of the terms of the Construction Contract and of the Construction documents, including the complete drawings (civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, electrical, and systems); specifications; addenda; change documents; and any other pertinent documents. Automation knowledge a BIG plus.
- Create and maintain a database of cost on established estimating tools and databases (not MS Excel) and lead the implementation of this tool division wide.
- a. Assess the ability to improve the current toolset or purchase an external costing estimator from a well-known national/global firm
- b. Update commodities, cost escalation and other costs regularly
- c. Work with general contractors and industry experts on ensuring the model is accurate at the subcontractor line level
- Work cooperatively with DE, SCS, PMO and construction teams in the preparation of project estimates.
- Work with Design Engineering team to support model updates and cost reviews, explaining inputs and rationale for costs (Design Engineering will continue to be lead for submitting cost estimates to Commercial Finance, supported by tools and backup provided by cost estimator role).
- Support benchmarking database to enable comparing the last X jobs - actual vs. estimated
- Support sales and customer site assessments to ensure SCS and DE have captured all the work content and business nuances in costing and design layouts; refine pricing as needed.
- Assist the Program Manager, Construction/Automation Project Managers to provide input on the engineering, procurement, automation integration, and construction costs for projects.
- Manage estimating resources to support Project Estimating consistent with Group Standards
- Procurement Plan Development, and Subcontractor/Vendor Prequalification.
- Monitor and report on key cost indicator trends and variances for projects.
- Frequently interface with design, procurement, program management, automation integration, and construction teams to ensure project cost changes are communicated.
- Solicit communications with contractors and vendors.
- Prepare professional costs using established formats, tools and timelines.
- Solicit contractors and consultants and prepare/issue RFP packages.
- Transmit addenda and other bid information to contractors.
- Ensure that we have the proper coverage on contractor bids.
- Show creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from contractors.
- Work with Design Engineering to submit 100% of estimates and budgets by the deadlines - or sooner - no exceptions.
- Identify material and time requirements using related documents.
- Resolve material discrepancies by collecting and analyzing data.
- Ensure that every detail on estimates are accurate and complete.
- Manage estimate workload and communicates deadline.
- Maintain estimate database on all costs, pricing, and activities for both building and automation costs
- Accurately and effectively plan out estimating tasks, and adjusts for deadline problems and set-backs.
- Work under minimal supervision, with a wide degree of creativity and latitude expected.
- Learn facility design/implementation; visit sites, understand processes; determine project costs real time.
- US focus, but support estimate solution implementation in Canada, Australia, or New Zealand as needed.
- At least 10 years#39; experience in a large construction management role, preferably in automated warehousing facilities.
- 7 years#39; experience in global construction with experience building teams in varying geos. Experience in the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand preferred.
- Bachelor degree in construction or technology field with business aptitude with strong technical competencies.
- Strong knowledge on estimating tools and databases to lead the implementation of this tool.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a corporate product environment and navigate the challenges associated building a new competency/line of business.
- Experience working on global construction projects, with the ability to articulate the cost differences in other countries.
- Demonstrated ability to create processes and tools to enable efficient delivery of work product.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information and complex ideas.
- Effective public speaking skills, both in prepared presentations and impromptu speaking.
- Demonstrated professionalism (e.g., cooperation, courtesy, assertiveness, and non-defensiveness, accepting constructive criticism, and maintaining confidences).
- Ability to effectively handle stressful situations (resolving conflicts and meeting deadlines).
- Onsite exposure to field operations.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications, to include Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio and SharePoint (and other process documentation tools).
Qualifications/Additional Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor#39;s degree in construction management, or engineering preferred.
- Familiarity with major GC/construction companies and AC/automation contractors.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact comfortably with team.
- Strong organizational, construction estimating and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on business needs.
- Must be able to commute to our corporate office, our field management, and warehouse associates.
- Willing to travel to any of Americold#39;s locations, expenses paid by the company.
Physical Requirements & Abilities
- The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonableb accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
- Required to visit facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
- May occasionally lift, carry, position, or move objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
- Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.