Environmental, Health & Safety Engineer
Your expertise and experience in the fields of Environmental, Health & Safety and Sustainability bring a critical competency to Torani’s rapidly growing business and brand new 330,000 square foot Flavor Factory in San Leandro. In this newly created position, your support of expanding operations constantly elevates our performance in these critical areas. Through your leadership, the organization understands the role that environmental responsibility, health & safety, and sustainability play in leading operational excellence in all areas. The understanding you have developed in all team members has allowed us to take the next huge step in development of skills, processes and technology needed toward “best in class” status.
You work collaboratively with individuals and teams to develop skills, drive process improvements, and build capability. Your effectiveness working across the organization and with external partners has accelerated the reputation of the Torani team as a GREAT partner to work with.
SUCCESS FACTORS (First 12-18 months)
- Health & Safety: You have worked with leadership in all areas of the San Leandro facility to ensure processes and systems are in place to keep all team members safe and well at work. You have assumed leadership of the Safety Team and have surrounded yourself with a passionate and informed team ready step up and into any safety related improvement effort. You conduct regular safety audits. You lead the accident investigation process. You lead the safety training and communication efforts for the Flavor Plant. You have explored, recommended, and begun implementing a behaviorally based safety approach that engages team members and reduces risk across the Flavor Factory.
- Environmental: You have developed an in-depth understanding of all external requirements for facility operation and helped clarify what this means to each department in the New Flavor Factory.You have identified the critical operational requirements to stay within both internally and externally applied limits.You have become fully familiar with plant systems that need to perform reliably to achieve ongoing compliance. You have established yourself as the key resource for internal and external inquiries related to regulatory compliance. You have educated various teams on what these limits are and why they are of importance.You have provided focus and persistence to efforts to standardize operations in a way that exceeds requirements.
- Sustainability: You have joined the B Corp certification team and helped prioritize initiatives that make an impact and drive improved assessment scores. You have established a network of resources in the B Corp community and utilized the learning of others to inform our sustainability efforts. You are recognized as the key architect to Torani’s sustainability strategy and are leading our efforts on recycling, water & energy conservation, etc. Through your business ownership and leadership contributions, solar power has been brought on board efficiently and effectively at the New Flavor Factory. You have developed a three-year plan of sustainability initiatives that create a pathway to step change improvements that will be a source of pride for team members and customers.
- Influence/Leadership: You have established yourself as a credible leader in the areas of: Environmental, Health, Safety, and Sustainability. You are the subject matter expert and go-to person internally and externally. You can credibly provide guidance and direction to other leaders, even those in more senior positions.
- Learning & Development: You have kept yourself up-to-speed on all aspects of these rapidly changing fields. You have continually rounding out your own knowledge and expertise and translated new developments into requirements for the Flavor Factory and other company operations. You have taken an interest in and leveraged the interest team members have across the organization in helping contribute to these critical areas. You have created the right culture and environment for Torani to meet or exceed Flavor Ops scorecard metrics for Safety, Health, Environment, and Sustainability.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- At least five years experience in a food/beverage manufacturing environment
- At least five years experience in one or more of the key areas of focus (H&S, Environmental, Sustainability)
- Success in working cross-functionally with (Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, and Quality) and influencing priorities and results.
- Subject matter expert in the area of safety regulations (Federal, State, Local) is required
- Assess risks and identify hazards in the workplace to create a safe and healthy environment.
- Organize, identify, and complete permits pertaining to health and safety, such as environmental permits, fire safety permits, and operating permits.
- Proven success negotiating complex business agreements and bringing them to close and building value for both the company and the supplier over time.
- Extensive background of cross-functional collaboration, executive level communications as well as strong interpersonal, networking and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to build strong relationships with external vendors in the EHS field.
- Passion for coaching and developing other team members.
- The ability to have fun!
- An undergraduate degree is required, preferably in Environmental Health, Safety Engineering or Occupational Health
- One of the following certificates is preferred: Certified Safety Professional (CSP), OSHA Safety Certificate, or Board-Certified Environmental Engineer (BCEE