The J.M. Smucker Company has a unique culture rooted in our Basic Beliefs, strengthened by Our Commitment to Each Other and perpetuated by the creation of an environment that leads to the continued growth of our employees.
Inspired by more than 120 years of business success and five generations of family leadership, The J. M. Smucker Company makes food that people and pets love. The Company#39;s portfolio of 40+ brands, which are found in 90 percent of U.S. homes and countless restaurants, includes iconic products consumers have always loved such as Folgers, Jif and Milk-Bone plus new favorites like Caf Bustelo, Smucker#39;s Uncrustables and Rachael Ray Nutrish. Over the past two decades, the Company has grown rapidly by thoughtfully acquiring leading and emerging brands, while ensuring the business has a positive impact on its 7,000+ employees, the communities it is a part of and the planet. For more information about The J. M. Smucker Company, visit https://jmsmucker.com .
An Operations Level 1 E&I Technician is responsible for the efficient and reliable maintenance of the site electrical, instrumentation, control, and automation equipment and software in support of a 24/7 production schedule. Maintains both equipment and activity logs to comply with Smucker#39;s, OSHA, and NEC requirements. The E&I Technician must be proficient at communicating and collaborating across departments/shifts. An E&I Technician has the responsibility for operating process or packing equipment at a level requiring no mentoring support. In addition to operating the equipment the E&I Technician must be able to maintain, troubleshoot, and repair the equipment at a basic level requiring limited support. E&I Technicians will need to display mechanical aptitude to support Technical Resources and Utilities Operator Mechanics. This technician must also meet leadership requirements that focuses on department level and plant level leadership and expectations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the information below:
Business needs may dictate the assignment of other duties as needed.
- Automation and Control Maintenance - Maintains automation and control equipment/software in optimal running condition by performing troubleshooting and repairs, and providing limited project support. Duties and expectations include, but not limited to, providing the following expertise:
- Proficiency with Rockwell Automation#39;s SLC and Control Logix processors using RSLogix 500 and RSLogix 5000.
- Proficiency with RSNetworx for DeviceNet and DeviceNet networking technology.
- Proficiency with RSNetworx for ControlNet and ControlNet networking technology.
- Proficiency with Schubert machinery programming software.
- Proficiency with Windows software.
- A working knowledge of FTView SE.
- A working knowledge of Wonderware.
- A working knowledge of Ethernet networking and ability to troubleshoot.
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot FTBatch.
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot Factory MES.
- Ability to work with and troubleshoot PanelView software.
- Ability to work with and navigate through FTTransaction Manager.
- Ability to work with and navigate through SQL Server 2005.
- Ability to interpret European machinery and programming.
- A strong working knowledge of using various programming and diagnostic software packages to configure and troubleshoot.
- Electrical System Maintenance - Maintain electrical systems in optimal functioning condition. Duties include, but not limited to the following:
- Preventative and unplanned maintenance for 480V 3 phase substations switches to 120VAC, 24VDC individual field devices. Components include, but not limited to, main switchgear, variable frequency drives (VFD), motor starters, motor protection devices, discreet I/O (limit switches, photo eyes, proxs etc.), generators, transformers, and interconnecting wiring.
- Full understanding of the facility#39;s#39; power distribution system.
- Maintains equipment in compliance with National Electric Code (NEC) and Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Maintains electrical equipment in compliance with the facility#39;s GMP rules and Food Safety guidelines.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics and manuals.
- Documents all maintenance activities both electronically (Megamation) and written (equipment log books) in an audit ready format.
- Have operation knowledge of the process in the three major areas, Utilities, Processing, and Packaging.
- Assists mechanical maintenance personnel when necessary.
- Participates as team member and understands and applies LEAN principals used in the facility#39;s continuous improvement initiatives
- Instrumentation Maintenance - Performs repairs and calibrations of the facility#39;s instrumentation
- Proficiency calibrating process related instrumentation. Instrumentation includes, but not limited to: mass flow meters, level transmitters, temperature transmitters (RTD and thermocouples), turbidity, pH, conductivity, pressure, humidity, and Quality Department test bench equipment.
- Calibrates both 4-20mA loops as well as Foundation Fieldbus networks.
- Ability to use and understand PID Loop tuning software to optimize performance.
- Uses appropriate bench calibration/simulation equipment to accurately maintain instruments.
- Conducts calibrations as required for equipment regulated by waste water permit, storm water permit, and discharge air permit.
- Safety and GMP Compliance - Regularly inspects equipment to assure compliance with NEC, NFPA, OSHA, and Sara Lee safety programs including but not limited to, Lock Out/Tag Out (LOTO), Electrical Safety Policy, machine guarding interlocks (ANSI B11 and NFPA 79), shock and arc flash safety (NFPA 70e), and emergency lighting.
- Provides support in other departments as needed daily.
- Provides a level of operations for a Centrifuge, pumps, valves, and tank equipment that requires no support to successfully manage and operate.
- Provides a level of operations for a steam pressurized vessels and coffee brewing equipment that requires no support to successfully manage and operate.
- Provides a level of operations for a multi-staged steam induced evaporation equipment that requires no support to successfully manage and operate.
- Provides a level of operations for a large natural gas driven spray drying furnace and associated equipment that requires no support to successfully manage and operate.
- Can navigate and populate MSOffice spreadsheets and PC based programs for production and quality requirements.
- Leads teams through Safety and Quality investigations using proper problem solving tools that are standard to Company expectations.
- Can read, understand and update standard operating procedures
- Can successfully perform proper turnover instructions to oncoming team members discussing any troubleshooting or operational challenges on the equipment.
- Provides proper training and mentoring for new team members on all department equipment
- Provides a technical level of understanding for centrifuging, evaporation, extraction and spray drying equipment that requires limited support. Technical skill requirements meet or exceed expectations of Autonomous Maintenance activities associated with troubleshooting, maintaining and repair.
- May need to work other shifts, overtime, and modified shifts based upon business needs.
- Ensures the health of the electrical equipment, instrumentation, and Process Control Network throughout the plant.
- Effectively operates and manages Mixing, Evaporation, Extraction and Spray Dryer equipment to ensure acceptable reliability and limited product loss
- Provides operations, troubleshooting and limited mechanical maintenance support for all plant equipment. (including Packaging equipment, Centrifuge, Pumps, Valves, Utilities equipment and Tanks)
- Provides a level of leadership that expands beyond the department to includes plant systems and programs
Qualifications (Experience/Knowledge/Systems/Applications or Equipment):
Experience: 0-1 yr. 1-3 yrs. 3-5 yrs. 5-10 yrs. Over 10 yrs.
Shift - Alternative Work Schedule and rotates nights to days, monthly.
Educational and/or Training Requirements:
Check level that applies or write in, if "other" applies
High School, General Education Degree (GED) or Equivalent
Key Relationships and Interactions:
Identify internal (departments, positions, etc.) and external (vendors, customers, etc.) contacts that are key.
- Leadership team for the department and plant
- Manufacturing Technicians
- Packaging/Logistics Technicians
- Other Team Leaders
- Quality Technicians
Supervision Required (How closely is this position supervised?):
Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments
Supervision Exercised (Is this position responsible for the following):
Non-Exempt Hourly Employees
Typical office environment
Moderate physical activity: walking, standing, moving materials, boxes, etc.
Heavy physical activity: lifting, bending, carrying heavy materials, boxes, etc.
Critical Details: climbing, stairs, equipment operation, etc.
DISCLAIMER: This job description indicates the general nature and level of the work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, tasks, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required. This description does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the employer.