At Day & Ross, you’ll go far.
Day & Ross is one of Canada’s largest transportation companies, serving top brands across North America. We got our start hauling potatoes in 1950, and now we have a team of more than 8,000 employees.
We believe our people are our greatest strength – and we treat them like family. For over a decade, we’ve been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, and we were named a Top Company for Women to Work for in Transportation in 2018 and 2019. Our industry recognition is a testament to the family values we share with our parent company, McCain Foods Limited.
About the Role
Full-time (Evenings & Weekends)
Day & Ross is currently looking to hire temporary Dock Workers to help balance current demand. As a Dock Worker, you will be a valued member of the team by ensuing that customer requirements are being met, with a focus on protecting freight from damage. As well, you will be responsible for ensuring proper handling of inbound and outbound freight, while maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
How You’ll Help
- Move and handle large and cumbersome freight in a dock environment
- Operate a forklift in congested areas
- Ensure compliance with TDG, WHMIS, company policies and/or procedures, and customer specific requirements
- Utilize proper handling techniques to ensure customer’s freight is protected from damage
- Ensure all inbound and outbound freight is accurately and efficiently received and shipped in accordance with company procedures.
- Organize and direct inbound and outbound freight to city and linehaul trailers
- Other duties as required
Your Skills & Experience:
Education and Training
- High school diploma of GED.
- Valid forklift certification
- Previous transportation or dock experience is preferred
Skills and Attributes
- Willingness and ability to lift up to 75 lbs
- Basic computer skills
- Self-motivated and possess a safety-first mindset
- Work collaboratively in a team environment
- Work efficiently with little to no supervision
- Ability to work shift work, including evenings and weekends, and alternate shift start and end times
The working environment will include physical labour (bending, crouching, etc.), outside in varying weather conditions, loud machinery, and operating a Forklift in congested areas.
Please note that the successful candidate will be asked to provide reference and criminal background checks prior to employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As a federally regulated employer, Day & Ross fully supports the principles of employment equity and encourages all qualified members of the designated groups to apply.