General Mills is seeking a Director of R&D and Business Unit Interface. In this role, you will have the unique opportunity to work closely with an Operating Unit President and Platform Chief Technology Officer shape the growth of our business portfolio to by leveraging your knowledge, skills and expertise to advance global and local pipelines. The right candidate for this role will demonstrate an ability to lead innovation and creative solutions at scale, leverage technical connections strategically, apply an external perspective appropriately. This key leadership role will provide you with a high level of cross-functional exposure and will accelerate your ability to navigate and influence across our organization.
- Build and advance the General Mills’ vision, strategy and plans that drive speed to market with consumer-first Innovation, Holistic Margin Management, and renovation pipelines for the portfolio through partnership with the broader R&D and Food Safety Quality teams, key cross-functional partners, and leverage of external partners.
- Lead a team of 4-6 Manager level direct reports. Provide leadership to further develop team including focus on advancing capabilities and business impact; talent development and building community; and increasing organizational agility through strategic resource distortion. Guide team to executional excellence through deep understanding of General Mills’ business and commercialization processes.
- Partner with key cross functional partners to build and align on business strategies & direction; and create remarkable solutions to deliver against these strategies.
- Accountable for a portfolio valued at approximately $1-2 Billion in size with an organization scale of 30-50 employees
• B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Engineering or related field, or Master’s or PhD in Food Science
• 10-15 years product development experience
• Experience in fast growing consumables category, with digital customer engagement and omni-channel solutions
• Experience in driving consumer experience innovation by integrating remarkable product, positioning, placement and pricing strategies.
• Experience leading with an Agile team mindset and operating approach
• Experience with different business models (service, product, etc.)
• Consumer-idea centric, rather than process centric, leadership
• Demonstrated experience leading a high performing team
• Must have strong organizational, creative and beyond product mindset skills to include product, process, packaging, consumer experience.
• Content innovation driver, with the ability to bring novel ways of thinking to solutions
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, strategic planning and engaging leader skills
• Demonstrated business acumen and ability to influence business and cross-functional teams
• Demonstrated leadership and initiative with the ability to work collaboratively to drive results
• Desire to challenge assumptions and identify new opportunities
• Ability to travel 15-25% of the time
• Experience working in a start-up organization