This role creates the global packaging strategy for Sabra/Obela, ensures execution of key projects that grows the topline, optimizes profit, and continually improves the consumer experience with packaging in the U.S, and provides technical thought leadership as well as technical support for international divisions. The incumbent will also be the gatekeeper for the stage gate process ensuring that best practices around project management for innovation, renovation, and COGS improvement projects are managed in a consistent, efficient, and effective manner.
- Develops short and long term strategies to optimize and/or transform packaging for improved consumer or customer experiences, elevated brand distinction on shelf, enhanced ease of use, improved freshness, and/or improved sustainability.
- Ensures that packaging projects in the U.S. are delivered on time and within budget. Direct reports will execute most projects; however, this person may be personally responsible for one or two large and complex packaging projects personally.
- Works cooperatively with internal and external design experts to create new packaging formats.
- Maintains expertise in new developments in packaging technology and has the ability to apply those technologies to consumer or customer needs
- Develops and maintains specifications for current packaging materials and ensures that any new materials have specifications that reflect the capabilities of our suppliers as well as the internal needs of our supply chain
- Creates and maintains a wide network of external packaging vendors that can be utilized for packaging innovation and productivity.
- Provides technical support to International areas for packaging
- Champions the internal stage gate process for the company, refining the process as needed to ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget. Ensures that those best practices are utilized globally
- Builds a high performing packaging team in the U.S. and through coaching and mentoring increases the packaging capabilities globally
- Technical depth and working knowledge of packaging technology with experience in a wide variety of packaging types.
- Strong project management skills
- Track record of innovative thinking
- Proven ability to work in cross functional teams
- Strong interpersonal skills including influencing and creating alignment
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- 8 - 10 years experience in commercialization of products in a consumer facing environment
- Bachelor#39;s or Master’s degree in packaging engineering or other related field
Top skills & proficiencies:
- Managing projects including organizing and prioritizing resources and timeline management
- Developing and tracking budgets, key milestones, and other metrics
- Utilizing problem solving techniques and steering teams to appropriate resolution for issues
- Communicating information in a clear and concise fashion across all levels – written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity
- Business acumen including ability to understand financial metrics associated with innovation, renovation, COGS, and productivity projects
- Candidate must display strong leadership skills including above average ability to:
- Influence others
- Drive for alignment and decisions
- Provide courageous leadership
- Boldness in decision making
Staff and Budget:
This position will have 5 to 8 direct reports with a mixture of packaging engineers and project managers.
The incumbent will be responsible for planning and forecasting both department expense as well as project expense budgets and tracking costs to ensure compliance.
Some travel approximately 20 – 30 % may be required with this job.