GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: The Director of Quality oversees all aspects of Quality and Food Safety at all AFF facilities. The position is ultimately responsible for all aspects of product quality and for the development, implementation, and administration of the documentation system necessary to maintain a controlled manufacturing process. Stays current with quality management technique and analytical technology, applying this knowledge to the cost-effective operation of the department. Must apply CAPA principles to troubleshooting issues, and be responsible for all 3rd party audit programs and activities, including but not limited to scheduling, preparing for and taking the lead in audits and any related certification process as well as government agency inspections. Responsible for customer complaint investigations and resolutions as well as supplier approval related to AFF’s Supplier Approval Program. Responsible for the Trending reports related to customer complaints and/or audits. Maintains a working relationship with inter-and intra-company departments such as Customer Service, Analytical, Production, Regulatory Affairs and R&D regarding resources, production, product development and quality. Assists customers with product issues or technical questions. This position serves as a backup SQF Practitioner and back up to either of the Food Safety Manager, QC Managers, and HACCP Coordinator when necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Set policies and direction as related to company quality standards with a focus on excellence in quality.
- Build and maintain the AFF quality systems manual.
- Must be FSMA knowledgeable and ensure compliance.
- Assume responsibility for all aspects of the QC and Food Safety Departments.
- Responsible for the quality of all products sold from AFF facilities. This includes maintaining and improving product quality by developing and enforcing GMP systems,
completing company, system, and product surveillance and compliance audits, validating processes and applying the information to strive for continuous improvement.
- Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including stability studies, failed processes, and complaints, corrective actions, withdrawals and/or recalls, re-validations and other KPIs as assigned.
- Ensure accuracy and completeness of records and documents maintained and generated by QC.
- Work in conjunction with the Food Safety Manager to conduct hazard analyses, identify CCPs and preventive measures, establish critical limits, and monitor procedures, corrective actions and verification procedures.
- Monitor and track effective cleaning practices of Sanitation and Production, including environmental swabbing program.
- Responsible for Crisis Management Program
- Direct and monitor customer complaint investigation and resolution activity. Responsible for complaint trending reports and working with other departments to reduce complaint recurrence. Communicate with internal and external customers as needed to assist in complaint resolution.
- Take responsibility to ensure that QC efficiently and effectively establishes utilization of rework products on a consistent and timely basis.
- Ensure that daily plant walk-through inspections are conducted.
- Work closely with the Document Team to maintain, create, and review company policies and procedures and communicate employee training requirements for those documents as needed.
- Be familiar and involved with HACCP and HACCP test records, process control records, lab test data records, COAs from suppliers, finished product COAs issued to customers, computer storage and protection of QC records.
- Maintain familiarity with company policies and procedures pertaining to quality control, food security, sanitation, cGMPs, HACCP/food safety, SQF, and employee supervision.
- Must be FSMA knowledgeable and ensure compliance.
- Assist with R & D projects, new product trial runs, and production scale-ups.
- Assist with selection of new plant equipment, installation and validation.
- Assist in addressing requests from customers, including spec reviews, customer questionnaires, documentation etc.
- Stay current with new regulations affecting the products we produce and sell.
- Responsible for accuracy of product labeling to comply with state and federal regulations in conjunction with Regulatory Affairs and R&D departments.
- In conjunction with Food Safety Manager take responsibility for ensuring the timely completion of internal audits of the facilities’ programs.
- BS or BA in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology or other science discipline.
- Minimum of five years of experience in quality assurance management.
- SQF Certified or equivalent experience with GFSI certification scheme.
- PCQI Certification
- Must be HACCP Certified and able to serve as facility HACCP Coordinator.
- Must be SQF Practitioner certified and able to fulfill this role in the absence of the Food Safety Manager.
- Must have strong leadership and collaboration skills.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Physically able to move about in a production and lab environment.
- Must have visual acuity to evaluate sample appearance and use lab instruments.
- Must demonstrate taste and aroma sense acuity.
- Must have a valid Class C California Driver License, with a good driving record and automobile insurance limits that fulfill company requirements.
- Must report to any AFF facility according to company need, sometimes with same-day notice.