Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world#39;s largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan#39;s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook#39;s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly#39;s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The Director of Sales is responsible for the planning and execution of sales strategies that maximize sales volume and margin growth for targeted customers/clients within Smithfield. The incumbent acts within the scope of the corporate mission statement and policy adherence to accomplish and deliver sales goals as established by the Vice President and the Company.
The Director will implement strategic sales plans to include sales forecasting activities, review market analysis to determine customer needs, price schedules, and discount rates. Directs channel development activity and coordinates sales distribution by establishing sales territories, quotas, and goals; direct product simplification and standardization to eliminate unprofitable items from sales line.
The Director of Sales interacts with category management and business development teams and has financial responsibility to maintain and grow the base business within the assigned geography. The Director of Sales controls all elements of the sales process within the region from sales presentations, forecasting, employee development, customer business reviews to broker training and evaluations.
- Grow existing accounts and expand market penetration for assigned channel
- Manages and develops sales teams; directs staffing, training and performance evaluations to develop and manage established sales programs
- Fiscal accountability to work within assigned budget
- Collaborates with the VP in the development of annual sales plan and budget; supports tactical planning and three year sales planning efforts as related to the strategic growth plans and objectives of the sales channel
- Provides reports as directed which includes monthly business and project status updates sales activity and volume reports, forecasts and pricing analysis reports
- Maintains #39;best in class#39; customer account management and service
- Analyze changes in market dynamics and use data to adapt strategies as necessary to achieve increased sales volume and margin growth
- Acts as a technical representative to the customer - providing training, creating sales presentations and providing solutions to the business issues facing the customer
- Establish and maintain productive long-term relationships with both internal and external decision makers within all functions and levels for key customers/clients
- Achievement of top line growth while maintaining profitability initiatives and objectives as derived by Executive Leadership Team
- Responsible for managing assigned projects and presentations in conjunction with the Business Development team; work cross functionally with sales, marketing, business development and operations to achieve results
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor#39;s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 10+ years#39; relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required
- Bachelor#39;s Degree, preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years#39; experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required
- Must understand the dynamics of the Consumer Packaged Goods industry.
- Understanding of product cuttings - comfort and knowledge of product attributes.
- Meat (protein) sales experience, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated sales planning, forecasting and sales execution experience required
- Must have a solid understanding of customer focused and fact based selling, including IRI, Neilsen and Perishable Group data.
- Knowledge and experience with Apple software, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- SAP experience, preferred.
- Ability to take unstructured or under-developed accounts to achieve sales volume and margin growth; acts with a sense of urgency and passion, self-directed
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Must possess a valid driver#39;s license.
- May travel up to 75% of the time.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees within the Sales function. Manages the team.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits