Act as a subject matter expert on food safety and quality systems within the company including but not limited to company policy, GFSI Food Standards, Egg Products Inspection Act, Preventive Controls for Human Food, and Preventive Controls for Animal Food.
Create a robust process in the identification and management of risk related to food safety, quality, and the effect on the business.
Champion a culture of excellence related to customer and third-party audits as well as regulatory inspections.
Function as a key member between the Corporate Food Safety and Quality department and other functional departments such as Operations, Procurement and Engineering to address identified risks.
Mentor and coach others to foster awareness of product safety and quality issues and promote the attainment of quality leadership skills.
Promote methods for transferring food safety and quality solutions and findings to Corporate Food Safety and Quality counterparts as well as other functional such as Operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and manage a team of employees through an in-depth review of a manufacturing process, determining the process flow to develop preventative measures to ensure food safety and quality.
- Develop, train, and implement manufacturing facility food safety programs, policies, and practices related to microbiological principles and processing lethality.
- Engage manufacturing facility quality and operational staff to ensure successful food safety program adoption. Work with Corporate Quality to resolve issues relating to food safety.
- Train and educate the plant teams around the requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act. Lead the plant teams in the risk assessment process and the development of a food safety plan.
- Lead the Root Cause Process and improve processes through mistake-proofing and the development of work instructions.
- Support the manufacturing facility and technical groups in the validation of control measures and product design.
- Support manufacturing facility in the evaluation and resolution of food safety and hygiene issues.
- Develop training programs, including training materials, for manufacturing facility personnel. Training programs include, but are not limited to quality, sanitation, processing methods, employee on-boarding, continuous improvement, and safety.
- Coordinate and conduct training (individual to groups of 30 employees).
- Validate/verify process execution and training effectiveness (SOPs, One Point Lessons, Hands on Demonstration, Checklist) using subject matter experts, consulting with operators, other resources, vendors, and performing duties, tasks, and steps per instructions.
- Prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data, making recommendations for improvements of the food safety and quality programs.
- Ensures documentation accuracy and knowledge around food safety and quality programs.
- Support the development and implementation of verification programs, including foreign material, allergen, microbiological, environmental, and pathogen monitoring programs.
- Work with Corporate Quality and Manufacturing facility operations to drive consistency throughout all ISC manufacturing facilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology, Food Science/Food Technology, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- Must have a strong knowledge and understanding of food microbiology, Food Safety/ HACCP/ HARPC, GMP’s, Sanitary design/controls, and food technology.
- Strong continuous improvement knowledge.
- Excellent computer skills in Office, SharePoint and SAP.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills. Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects in different plant locations.
- Able to work flexible hours (nights and weekends) as required.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Willing to travel 75% of the time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and may not include all the duties associated with this position.