SUMMARY: The Controls Engineer leads the scoping, design, and implementation of capital projects at Mizkan America production facilities including capital requests and justifications. The Controls Engineer leads digitalization of factory process data and supports plant needs for industrial controls programming with a focus on safety, quality and cost. This role supports activities related to utilities, processing, and packaging operations. It requires skills in root cause analysis, problem resolution, and continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Partners with corporate and plant management teams to ensure the development of detailed scopes of work and effective engineering project generation and implementation upon approval.
• Provides leadership and support to capital projects sharing insight and expertise required to plan and approve for implementation.
• Works with contractors to generate costs to complete installation and startup of projects; Supervises and directs other team members where appropriate and controls outside contractors relative to plant policies and scope of work.
• Responsible for implementing and supporting SCADA systems (AB and/or Ignition) and may include batch management, recipe development and management, and HMI development and implementation.
• Responsible for all programming and process changes due to Capital installations and R&D innovation developments.
• Requires flexible work schedules to cover installation and commissioning of projects.
• Conducts engineering studies as assigned on new and existing manufacturing processes, equipment, tooling and materials to optimize production efficiencies, minimize waste/scrap and ensure quality standards and safety requirements are met.
• Develops detailed project submittals with accurate cost generation for project submission, ROI analysis and approval consideration.
• Performs Root Cause Analysis, develops recommendations and resolves manufacturing problems identified within plant operations.
• Engineering degree with 5 years industrial controls experience or minimum 10 years experience programming and implementing industrial controls in a high speed food production environment.
• SCADA system implementation experience (Ignition and/or AB preferred).
• Industrial control system (PLC) programming experience in production environment.
• Ability to effectively engage and communicate with workforce to build and develop teams and skills.
• Ability to organize and manage multiple projects, priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work with all levels (plant personnel and management).
• Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
• Effective level of interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
• Up to 50% travel depending on capital plan and individual plant needs.
This job description reflects assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.