Responsibilities and Duties
As a minimum, the following is a basic description of typical duties and responsibilities expected of the CNC Programmer. These duties are not exhaustive and are subject to change as the needs of the organization require.
- Analyze job orders, drawings, blueprints and specifications to calculate dimensions, determine the sequence of machine operations, select the proper cutting tools, machine speeds and feed rates needed to optimize production
- Create and edit CNC programs using CAM Packages, such as MasterCam or Gibbs CAM.
- Test and revise programs to eliminate errors, and retest programs to check that problems have been resolved.
- Create and maintain process documentation with instructions and in-process drawings or photos so machinist can understand instructions on how to set up and run the programs with ease
- Observe machines on trial runs or conduct computer simulations to ensure that programs and machinery will function properly and produce items that meet specifications
- Ensure that operators are running programs properly.
- Work with Management, Machinists, and Operators to identify opportunities for process improvement within machine operations
- Be primarily responsible for initiating, executing, and analyzing Tooling Tests.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Five or more years of experience as a CNC Machinist
- Two or more years of experience as a CNC Programmer using a CAM Package such as MasterCam, Gibbs Cam, G-Code, M-Code and Mazatrol.
- Experience Programming for different types of CNC Machine Tools including Verticals, Horizontals, and Lathes
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Print Reading, Geometry and Tolerances
- Knowledge and Understanding of Basic Process Improvement Principles (5S, Kaizen, or Six Sigma Preferred)
- Strong mechanical aptitude and experience with regards to working on machine tools and equipment
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to interface with others and liaise with management
- Two-year or four-year degree in CNC Machining/Programming
- Experience working with Haas, Fanuc, Osai, and Mazak Controls desirable
- Five or more years of experience as a CNC Machinist in leadership or supervisory roles.
- Experience in programming swiss-type programs
- Sitting—More than ½ of the time
- Standing—Less than ½ of the time
- Use of hands or fingers to handle or feel—Over ¾ of the time
- Reach with hands or arms—Over ¾ of the time
- Bending/Climbing—Less than ½ of the time
- Talk or hear—Over ¾ of the time
- Close vision (clear vision at 36 inches or less)