- BS Degree in a Food Science or Technology or Laboratory Science
- 5-7+ years’ experience managing quality operations in a Food & Beverage Manufacturing environment
- HACCP Certified
- Certified SQF Practitioner
- Comprehensive hands-on experience in manufacturing / operations and QC lab environments.
- Strong leadership skills in managing change as well as managing the activities of technically based employees
The Quality Systems Manager is responsible for the management and execution of quality control programs and systems at plant and manages the quality control department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and maintains Quality Control systems to assure the highest possible quality standards in all incoming raw materials, outgoing finished products and manufacturing environments.
- Oversees the development, implementation, review and maintenance of the SQF 2000 System including Food Safety Fundamentals, the Food Safety Plan and the Food Quality Plan.
- Ensures HACCP plan is maintained, verified, validated and kept current and CCP’s and pre-requisite programs are monitored, verified and validated as required by the plan.
- Oversees department supervisors and evaluates their performance to assure that all policies, procedures, programs and systems are fully implemented.
- Assures that all quality control procedures and associated documentation are properly developed, verified, validated, updated and compliant with company policies and procedures. Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of production related quality policies, procedures, programs and systems.
- Investigates customer/consumer complaints, implements corrective and preventive actions and provides responses and reports in a timely manner. Provides assistance to customer service representatives when technical expertise is needed.
- Works with all plant departments and senior management to continuously improve the level of quality for all raw materials, work-in-process products, and finished goods.
- Takes appropriate action to maintain the integrity of the SQF 2000 System.
- Develops, monitors, and controls department budget with detailed variance reporting to the vice president of food safety and quality.
- Communicates to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF 2000 System.
- Acts as a SQF practitioner, assures that a protocol for validating pre-requisite programs and critical food safety and food quality limits is developed, implemented and maintained.
- Initiates quality control programs that are developed and/or required by customers and works closely with customers to understand their requirements and their product specifications.
- Leads regulatory inspections, monthly plant GMP audits and customer and third-party audits such as AIB and SQF. Develops and maintains the audit CAPAs.
- Manages the Certificates of Analyses (COA’s) program required by customer base.
- Manages all interactions required with outside analytical and microbiological laboratories.
- Assists in the development, implementation, and maintenance of quality and food safety related training.
- Is responsible for manufacturing, distributing and consistently maintaining safe and quality food by following good manufacturing practices, allergen controls, food defense, HACCP and SQF requirements.