Take your career to the next level and join our exciting, fast-paced Bakery Production team where your hard work pays off with outstanding advancement opportunities and recognition. You will be rewarded with a very competitive salary, bonus and generous benefits to include: profit sharing and company paid medical/dental and vision premiums for you and your eligible dependents. Other benefits described below.
Headquartered in Portland, Oregon; U.S. Bakery (Franz Family Bakeries) is a privately owned, independent wholesale baking company that operated in the Pacific Northwest since 1906. We produce a variety of different bakery products, made with quality ingredients and are the best in the marketplace. We have achieved our success by focusing on best-in-class customer support, lean operations, and a performance-based culture. We employ over 4,000 employees and distribute our highly regarded bakery products in Alaska, Idaho, California, Utah, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Chief Engineer is responsible for overall budgeting, directing a team, safety, and managing business processes within the 6th Avenue Bakery. This position requires interaction with all internal departments, 3rd party vendors, and customers to which engineering and manufacturing equipment maintenance services are provided.
- Manages and justifies all budget and resource allocation decisions to Engineering Manager and senior management as required..
- In conjunction with Engineering Manager, plans, directs, and leads engineering or equipment maintenance project activities for assigned bakery.
- Identifies and schedules project deliverables and required tasks.
- Acts as liaison between the project that is being worked on and management.
- Directs and coordinates activities for Engineers to ensure project time lines are on schedule.
- Develops and implements optimal, cost-effective manufacturing processes and methods in accordance with product specifications and quality standards.
- Oversees policies, procedures, protocols and controls that govern operations.
- Consults with staff to ensure routines and controls keep the organization operating safely and effectively.
- Sets department goals and objectives.
- Orders parts or approves the ordering of parts.
- Confronts issues openly, professionally, and timely.
- Attends and conducts regularly scheduled meetings with staff and management.
- Adheres to Franz Core Values.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Demonstrates leadership, decision-making, project execution and effective communication skills.
- Leads people and business processes to meet business objectives.
- Utilizes strong analytical skills to solve problems and make decisions based on limited precedents or guidelines.
- Able to adapt to and deal with ambiguous situations, driving towards clarity.
- Excellent conflict management skills and ability to partner with other departments and organizations to be successful and resolve issues.
- Effectively work in a team environment, yet be self-directed, proactive, and action-oriented.
- Travel – Occasional travel to other facilities to review processes and current evaluations.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines or as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering; or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience may be considered.
- Intermediate computer skills using Microsoft Office and 3D CAD skills.
- Knowledge of tooling design and fabrication.
- Proven ability to manage multiple project plans, with solid project and time-management skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication.
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Qualified candidates will be individuals with confidence, reliability and the communication skills to clearly support complex processes. Analytical thought processing, problem solving, listening, ability to manage, and written and verbal skills are critical as well.