Eden Foods - Clinton, Mich. (Lenawee Co.) seeks capable, knowledgeable person to help manage field crop grower-supplier relationships. Position is based in Clinton. Travel is involved. Must have knowledge of agriculture, grain and bean crops, organic, and be open to learning and sharing. Good work, good people, a career opportunity.
More information at http://www.edenfoods.com/careers
Position: Field Crop Buyer
Grower Relationship Management
Reports to: Purchasing Department Director
Duties and Responsibilities
- Nurture Eden qualified supplier relationships and develop collaboration within a network of independent growers. Visit farmers, farms, crop handlers, storage, processing, and related facilities. Gather and record details for Eden Foods’ information databases.
- Contract for and purchase from supplier/growers the requirements of Eden Foods. Develop sound relationships and mutual understandings with suppliers. Oversee and ensure compliance with legal requirements for food. Confirm compliance with Standard Operating Procedure requirements, various standards, and that items purchased meet Eden Foods’ specifications.
- Visit growers, suppliers, cleaners, and food processors to assure quality and verify they are in compliance with necessary regulations.
- Verify growing practices and production areas to ensure crops are produced in manner that Eden Foods desires and that they are handled in a manner that prevents them for being adulterated.
- Track crops from farm to cleaner to processing and packaging.
- Work with certification organizations, quality assurance processes, and facilitate their interface with growers, processors, and suppliers.
- Management of, and involvement in, paperwork related to Eden Foods’ inventory, suppliers, and regulatory requirements.
- Gather, record, and report appropriate information about participating farmers, farms, handlers, cleaners, and processors.
- Gather and record information about the foods, their growing, handling, source, and related traditional background information for Eden Foods.
- Maintain up-to-date documents on suppliers, growers, handlers, and cleaners.
- Work to complete and improve Eden Foods certifications, quality control, and regulatory compliance.
- Inventory management based on calculations and factors such as lead-time, projections, seasonal rhythms, historic use, and projected demand.
- Expand company resources for food items. Develop Plan B supplier capabilities to ensure uninterrupted supply.
- Background knowledge of farming and field crop production.
- Previous experience in business.
- A willingness and ability to learn.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with coworkers, growers, and business associates.
- Natural food knowledge and interests.
- An openness to and general understanding of the grower’s perspective.
- A team player that delivers what, and of the quality, they would expect from other team members.
- Self-reflective common sense, overt common courtesy, and a personable demeanor.
- Reliable performance under high ethical standards.
- Clear, succinct, and timely written and verbal communications.
- Computer proficiencies with a willingness to learn, and improve, Eden systems.
- A growing knowledge of technical, agricultural, regulatory, industry, and Eden Foods’ requirements and criteria.
- Good judgement, common courtesy, and high standards.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a complete explanation of duties. Employees are required to perform duties as assigned by their supervisor or management. Eden reserves the right to modify job duties and responsibilities as needed. Job descriptions do not constitute or imply an employment contract.