Eden Foods - Clinton, Mich. (Lenawee County) seeks a capable, knowledgeable person to manage supplier relationships and company purchases. Position is based in Clinton. Travel is necessary. Must have some knowledge of agriculture, organic practices, and be open to learning and sharing. Good work, good people, a career opportunity.
More information at http://www.edenfoods.com/careers
Reports to: Purchasing Department Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
- Nurture Eden qualified supplier relationships and develop collaboration within a network of independent growers. Visit farms, crop handlers, storage, processing, and related facilities.
- Order from and work with supplier/grower, developing sound relationships and mutual understandings. Achieve arrangements as are best for Eden and its customers. Manage their compliance with various certifications and standards requirements. Maintain documents relative to them. Ensure that Eden specifications are met or exceeded for anything that they dispatch to us, before they are dispatched.
- Visit growers, suppliers, cleaners, and food processors to assure quality and to verify they are in compliance with necessary regulations.
- Verify growing practices and production areas to ensure crops are produced and handled in ways that Eden Foods requires and they are protected them for being contaminated.
- Track crops from farm to cleaner, to processing and packaging.
- Work with certification organizations, quality assurance processes, and facilitate their interface with growers, processors, and suppliers.
- Management of, and involvement in, paperwork related to Eden Foods’ inventory, suppliers, and regulatory requirements.
- Gather, record, and report appropriate information about participating farmers, farms, handlers, cleaners, and processors.
- Gather and record information about the foods, their growing, handling, source, and related background information for Eden Foods.
- Keep required documents up-to-date on suppliers, growers, handlers, and cleaners.
- Work to complete and improve Eden certifications, quality control, and regulatory compliance. Keep records and data up-to-date as directed.
- Contract for supplies, purchase food, and other items for Eden Foods.
- Inventory management based on calculations and factors such as lead-time, projections, seasonal rhythms, historic use, and projected demand.
- Expand company resources for food items. Develop Plan B supplier capabilities to ensure uninterrupted supply.
- Be a fussy buyer on behalf of our customers and Eden staff.
- Background knowledge of field crop farming.
- Previous experience in business.
- A willingness and ability to learn.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, growers, and business associates using good judgement. Willingness to be a team a player.
- Natural food knowledge and interests.
- An openness to and general understanding of the grower’s perspective.
- A team player that delivers what, and of the quality, they would expect from other team members.
- Self-reflective common sense, overt common courtesy, and a personable demeanor.
- Reliable performance maintaining high ethical standards.
- Clear, succinct, and timely
written and verbal communications.
- Computer proficiencies with a willingness to learn and improve Eden systems.
- A growing knowledge of technical, agricultural, regulatory, industry, and Eden Foods’ requirements and criteria.
- Good judgement, common courtesy, reliability, and follow through.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive or a complete explanation of duties. Employees are required to perform duties as assigned by their supervisor or management. Eden reserves the right to modify job duties and responsibilities as needed. Job descriptions do not constitute or imply an employment contract.