Purpose: To provide the basic duties of the 1st Shift Bartelt Machine Operator position at NRI in a safe, productive, and efficient manner. This is a 1st shift position working Monday- Thursday, from 6:00 a.m. through 4:45 p.m. Work schedule is subject to change according to the needs of the company and/or department.
- Responsible for operation of the Bartelt and HMC Packaging equipment-line, establishing priorities per production guidelines.
- Responsible for running and maintaining packaging equipment; includes labelers, scales, conveyors, coders and other related packaging.
- Operate machinery safely and efficiently in relation to material usage documentation, product waste, sealing, coding, and weight control.
- Responsible for using pallet jack and utility knife.
- Ensure compliance with Production/Packaging procedures and practices
- Inspect all areas within the line/equipment for any operational and/or mechanical issues
- Take corrective action when necessary and notify supervisor and/or management.
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Takes responsibility for reporting any and all safety incidents.
- Review production orders.
- Requests packaging material (paper, poly, cartons) from storage as needed.
- Return all unopened materials to warehouse clean and ready for use.
- Visually inspect boxes, cartons and other packaged materials for printing defects. Ensure proper sizing of product containers.
- Be proactive in setting up line based on production schedule and preparing for daily runs.
- Prepare equipment for next production run
- Maintain line speed/standards.
- Complete all documentation associated with production run
- Observe operation of equipment and perform necessary adjustments to ensure product specifications are met.
- Perform net weight control checks and make equipment adjustments as needed.
- Ability to communicate any changes in product flow, equipment malfunctions, shortages or deviations from specifications to Production Supervisor, maintenance or other operators verbally and/or in writing.
- Inspect packaging, coding and seals to verify conformance to specifications and performs necessary adjustments to ensure compliance.
- Ensure the proper packaging materials are used for each product being produced.
- Will have working knowledge and experience with machine operations; watching for jams and effectively threading film to prevent cost downtime due to handler error.
- Utilizing continuous improvement mindset, assist in identifying opportunities to improve processes.
- Work safely; utilize PPE in designated areas, follow proper Lock-out/Tag-out, confined space safety, safe chemical handling, fall restraints, where applicable.
- Expected to work in other areas as needed.
- All other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent G.E.D. required. Must have basic math skills. At least six(6)-months machine operator experience in a manufacturing setting. Must be able to read and speak English. Ability to assess equipment and demonstrate basic mechanical knowledge. Ability to follow both verbal and written instructions. Able to multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment and function well as part of a team.
Work Conditions/Physical Demands: Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation; While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to bend, stoop, lift, reach, and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. This is an indoor food processing environment that may have wet floors, humid and/or dusty conditions. The ambient noise level does not currently require the use of ear plugs although these are available. The dust particulate measurement within this environment does not currently require the use of a respirator although dust masks are available.
To Apply/Eligibility: New hires must be employed for six (6) months to apply. Transferred employees must remain in current position for one (1) year before applying, except in a situation which is mutually beneficial to both the employee and NRI. Employees with a final warning on file is not eligible to apply. A good attendance, discipline and safety record is required. If you are interested in this position, please complete an “Internal Transfer Form” and forward to Judy Bush, Human Resources Manager before end of business on 09/25/2020.