Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world#39;s largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan#39;s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook#39;s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly#39;s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
This position is responsible for assisting the Human Resources Manager in the operation of the business unit#39;s HR Department with the purpose of maintaining an effective and efficient human resource function. Possesses specialized knowledge of HR Systems, processes and procedures. This position is intended to provide training and experience to prepare incumbent to assume other leadership roles (i.e. Human Resources Manager) in same or other business unit of the organization.
- Maintain a positive labor/employee relations environment for the affected business unit. Facilitate workplace investigations or other inquires (under guidance of HR Manager) arising out of needs expressed by employees and/or manifestation of policy or rule infraction(s).
- Assure production employee retention for the business unit is maintained at an acceptable level to achieve business unit success. This also includes data entry into the time/attendance keeping system and management of the job/vacation bid processes.
- Coordinate all staffing functions for exempt and non-exempt employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, orientation, and training.
- Oversee the development and execution of the business unit#39;s AA plan; focus work to ensure AAP goals are achieved during entire employment process.
- Oversee the handling of employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
- May assist Human Resources Manager in providing position and performance guidance based upon human resources policies and procedures including the collective bargaining agreements. Including but not limited to grievance meetings, records entry/management, employee inquiries, community relations activities, temporary staffing services and invoice management.
- Provide direction/leadership to HR clerk or HR Assistant in servicing employee needs and performing the overall Human Resources & employment functions for the business unit, as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor#39;s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business Management or related field, and 2+ years of Human Resources related experience and/or training, required.
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices.
- Posses specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures.
- Experience in administration of benefits, compensation and other programs; preferred.
- Knowledge of Human Resource systems; Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- This position may have oversight of the clerical functions of HR.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization#39;s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits