Position Function and Scope: Del Monte Foods, Inc. (DMFI) is a multi-national food company headquartered in Walnut Creek, CA, with a powerful portfolio of brands, including iconic Del Monte®, Contadina® and College Inn®. Our premium-quality meal ingredients, snacks and beverages can be found in six out of ten U.S. households. At Del Monte Foods, we believe in supporting one another. In helping our people shape their own careers - in letting them grow outward, upward and across disciplines. We are tending to the greater good, providing accessible, nourishing, great-tasting food for all. We are Del Monte Foods – Growers of Good. Reporting directly to the SVP General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer, the Associate General Counsel (AGC) will provide legal advice and counsel relating to several subject matter areas including commercial contracts, procurement, environmental, real estate, marketing and sales. The AGC will also manage various outside counsel relationships involving commercial litigation. The AGC will be a valued member of the legal team and enjoy frequent interaction with internal business leaders. This position is virtual with no relocation required as long as the candidate is based out of any of the following states: AR, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, IN, MI, MN, NC, OH, PA, TX, VA, WA, WI.
Responsibilities: The AGC will have the following primary
* Commercial: Provide legal advice and risk management counseling on a variety of legal issues, including contractual and transactional matters such as customer and vendor agreements, regulatory, and compliance matters. In commercial negotiations and transactions, pprovide legal support to the operations, procurement, transportation and technical groups as needed.
* Marketing and Sales: Provide legal advice and support in negotiating contracts with customers and vendors; review advertising for legal compliance and risk management
* Operations: Provide legal advice to manufacturing plant and distribution center management. Review and negotiate contracts with vendors and service providers.
* Real Estate: Work with real estate group on transactions including mortgages, leases, acquisitions, and dispositions.
* Environmental: Work with environmental compliance and operations groups to ensure environmental compliance; represent the Company in environmental clean-up matters. The anticipated breakdown across key areas is expected to be as follows:
* 60% Contracts (drafting/reviewing new contracts and responding to questions around existing contracts).
* 20% Trademark/POAs/Licensee considerations.
* 10% Regulatory/Advertising claims.
* 10% Demand Letters/Government/etc. Qualifications:
* Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
* Strong academic credentials.
* 10+ years commercial legal experience including 5 years in-house.
* The successful candidate will have 10+ years of legal experience in the areas of commercial contracts, procurement, environmental and real estate. At least 5 years of in-house experience at a large company ($500M+ revenue) is required, no less than 2 years of which are at Director or higher job level. Consumer Package Goods industry experience is a big plus.
* Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Excellent business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while also thinking strategically and providing practical advice.
* Strong client service orientation and sense of urgency.
* Ability to deal effectively with personnel in and outside the company.
* Ability to organize and supervise complex projects, develop results-oriented strategies, and monitor results.
* Ability to handle multiple projects and to respond on a timely basis to urgent business demands.
* Team player who will roll up their sleeves and take on additional responsibilities, while also being able to work independently and think strategically.
* Comfort with ambiguity and change.
* Practical approach to legal drafting and problem solving and ability to translate legal issues into clear, “plain English” guidance for non-lawyers. WE OFFER
* Competitive salary.
* Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401(k). Del Monte Foods, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. ALL RESUMES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED THROUGH WWW.DELMONTEFOODS.COM TO BE CONSIDERED. (https://www.delmontefoods.com/careers/). Please be advised that your application is not complete until you fill out, sign, and submit an Application for Employment for a specific position for which Del Monte Foods, Inc. is actively recruiting. Your application must reflect that you possess the required qualifications for the position. No sponsorship is available for this position. No agencies or 3rd party vendors. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled