The incumbent will plan and organize routine and non-routine research and development activities concerned with the chemical, biological and physical nature of food. These activities are to evaluate and improve the quality of existing products and processes and to develop new products and processes by effectively defining and meeting key sensory attributes. Incumbent will plan, organize, and complete research and development projects of modest scope, and will individually or with a team select and/or develop appropriate methods for conducting projects and assist in designing experiments.
This role will interface frequently with various internal departments (i.e. Marketing, Purchasing, and Engineering) and will support multiple product categories. The incumbent will prepare prototypes and line extension products using a research lab or pilot plant as needed. The individual in this role will work independently and also with teams, both with research and development peers and cross functional partners, to develop solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope.
Incumbent, will be tasked with ordering materials for producing and evaluating prototypes, including selection and evaluation of raw materials. They will maintain the research and development kitchen with accurate, up-to-date records, laboratory notebooks. Incumbent will assist in the design and execution of storage studies, including product and package performance under various conditions, as well as operating and maintaining research lab equipment. The role will also work and interface with outside labs, universities, ingredient suppliers and lab equipment vendors as needed by project activity.
This role will report to the Director of Research and Development.
Responsibilities include but may not be limited to the following:
- Completing projects and tasks on schedule as assigned
- Maintaining the Research and Development kitchen
- Creating benchtop prototypes for new product development
- Creating benchtop prototypes with modifications to existing products for cost savings or process improvement.
- Developing innovative products based on company innovation pipeline and strategy
- Providing R&D support as needed to other departments
- Involvement with cross functional innovation sessions
- Identifying new and innovative ingredients
- Become a super user of the specification system
- BS in Food Science/ Microbiology/ Dairy Science or Biology or related experience in lieu thereof.
- 1 or more years experience in the food industry
- Basic knowledge of food processing
- Experience with or ability to learn food product development
- Familiarity formulating products and manipulating formulas
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Ability to learn how to bring projects from bench top to production
- Familiarity with or ability to learn how to commercialize new products
- Understanding of food safety and production
- Ability to work well with others in a team setting
- Proficiency with computer programs including but not limited to Excel, Word, and Power Point.