WHO WE ARE
Baldwin Richardson Foods, Co. is global manufacturer of custom food and beverage ingredients and one of the largest African-American family-owned and-operated businesses in the food industry. The Company has strong supply relationships with some of the world’s largest Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) and Food Service customers. Iconic, global food brands entrust Baldwin Richardson Foods as their partner to deliver the highest quality products that exceed industry standards. The Company also manufactures and markets Mrs. Richardson’s Ice Cream Toppings and Nance’s Mustards and Condiments. One of Baldwin Richardson Food#39;s locations is Westmont, IL, which is where this position resides. This position requires up to 50% travel.
WHAT WE NEED
The Associate Scientist role is responsible for brand maintenance and cost optimization initiatives for Baldwin Richardson Foods. The Scientist will support cross-functional partners on various projects to identify and implement alternative solutions regarding suppliers/ingredients/manufacturing processes, new product launches, and other project related tasks.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Supports initiatives from early development through commercialization on sweet sauces, beverage syrups, savory sauces, dressings, and clean label technology.
- Leverages cross functional partners across marketing, purchasing, operations, and engineering, to drive Innovation/Brand Maintenance projects.
- Partners with the operations team as needed to ensure products are successfully developed for our system.
- Partners with QA, Regulatory, etc. to ensure safety and consistency of all products
- Studies methods to improve the quality of food/minimize customer complaints related to various products including flavor, color, texture, nutritional value, ingredient functionality, convenience, physical, chemical, and microbiological composition of products.
- Partners with the procurement team and manages a supplier base to deliver technical and creative product solutions when needed.
- Participates in product innovation sessions and sensory and consumer research sessions with manager support.
- Establishes an innovative culture for the organization by building effective relationships with colleagues both on and offsite.
- Responsible for staying abreast of industry news and trends to assist with forming product strategies as well as of technical product innovations to apply them to positively impact the business.
- Assists with maintaining a world-class laboratory environment, including management of ingredients, lab scheduling/ functions, and the equipment.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or other related scientific discipline(s).
- At least 1 year of experience as a food technologist/scientist.
- Proven experience and success working on projects related to concept development through to commercialization.
- Previous experience on sauces, syrups, and beverages desired.
- A passion for food and culinary arts a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of ingredient functionality.
- Knowledge of food safety principles and systems.
- Working knowledge of regulatory procedures and requirements including FDA, USDA, etc.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in SAP is a plus.
- Strong abilities in Algebra, Geometry and Statistics.
Baldwin Richardson Foodsoffers a generous benefits package, including low premium and out-of-pocket medical/dental/vision costs, vacation, sick, 401k with matching, birthdays off, designated holidays and floating holidays.
Read more about who we are atwww.brfoods.comorwww.linkedin.com/company/baldwin-richardson-foods