People are at the heart of our strategy
A family-owned Group, Roquette offers a positive and attractive work and career environment, in which everyone can learn, develop, contribute to the overall company performance and be recognized for doing so.
A career with Roquette will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference as you work with some of the brightest individuals in the industry.
Roquette America#39;s Customer Innovation Center in Geneva, Illinois, is home, to leaders paving the way for Roquette#39;s future. The individuals you will connect with day-to-day are creating innovative solutions impacting your everyday life in pharmaceutical, nutrition, food and other applications.
The Baking Application Scientist Leader will be responsible for developing solutions - ingredient, formula and process - within Roquette#39;s ingredient portfolio. Emphasis on bakery and adjacent food categories such as: cakes, sweet breads, muffins, icings, cookies, biscuits, crackers, breakfast cereals, cereal bars, etc. This person will also support Roquette#39;s customer base in bakery ingredient development along with new applications of novel ingredients. The role will focus on sensory driven innovation to help move ingredients from concept to commercialization while collaborating with customers.
Key Duties / Responsibilities:
• Identify product growth within our ingredient portfolio and bakery customer opportunities
• Provide technical leadership in formulation, benchtop development, and pilot plant processing of bakery products
• Work with cross-functional teams (marketing, sales, R&D and regulatory)
• Partner with sales and marketing to identify customer needs and translate these into new prototype opportunities
• Independently handle complex issues with minimal supervision, while escalating only the most complex issues to appropriate staff
• Lead and coordinate application studies (current products, range extension, innovative solutions)
• Create and animate training for customers and Sales force
• Create new concepts and protect value through Invention Disclosures/Patent filings where applicable
• Stay current with segment and consumer trends
• Assist with customer trials - at Roquette sites, customer sites, third party sites, etc.
• Contribute to a safe workplace
• Documentation discipline, including Electronic Lab Notebook and uploading documents in Sharepoint collaboration spaces
• Must have proven decision making skills and work effectively under pressure
• Knowledge of experimental design, sensory science, performance specifications, and technical tools used in product development
• Collaborate directly with internal business teams and cultivate relationships with external partners
• Positively contribute to Roquette#39;s image through customer engagement, trade shows and other professional forums
• Be a coach and technical mentor to all members of Customer Technical Service
• B.S. degree in Food Sciences, Cereal Science, or Chemical Engineering is required, Master#39;s preferred
• Minimum 5 year experience in food Research and Development, preferably in the bakery industry
• Knowledge of baking process equipment and ingredient functionality preferred
• Proven excellent work record with demonstrated high levels of initiative and self-direction
• Demonstrated strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills
• Project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities simultaneously
• Computer skills and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database and other software/applications
• Proven track record in people management (developing, coaching, mentoring, directing) with demonstrative teambuilding skills
• Strong business acumen with an ability to mesh business needs with technical competencies
• Fluent English is mandatory
• Leadership competencies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong process knowledge with mechanical/electrical/controls aptitude
• Work collaboratively and build effective relationships with others
• Proficient in running twin screw extrusion equipment, plus foundational knowledge of formulation and process
• Flexible to consider additional information or ideas when developing solutions
• The ability to use knowledge, facts, data and professional insights to effectively solve problems and implement solutions
• Must be exceptionally organized and self-disciplined to accommodate the management of concurrent multiple projects
• Fast learner, embraces and quickly adapts to change
• Possess high level of proficiency in business and technical writing skills, along with dynamic presentation skills for small
and large audiences
• Solid understanding of food safety and regulatory
• Knowledge of product attributes that may vary during production, and the relationship between production variability
and consumer acceptance
• Identify the tolerable limits (levels/intensities) of product variability, and know which qualitative attributes matter most in
• Travel: Up to 25% with no destination restrictions
• Ability to lift 25 to 50 lbs
• Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time
Roquette provides numerous career opportunities, thanks to the diversity of its jobs and their international dimension.
Joining Roquette means joining dynamic teams ambitious for success.
Add Your Talent to Ours!