The Production Lead will assist the department manager and/or supervisor in overseeing daily operations to ensure production meets food safety, quality and customer specification requirements. The production lead plays a strong role in supporting and encouraging the development and growth of employee knowledge within the department via bridging communication of needs between the department manager and production staff
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) is required
- Bilingual skills (English and Karen) is required
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Responsible for directing team on daily tasks/goals.
- Understanding what supplies are needed and ensuring availability for the day’s production.
- Identify opportunities for improvements on processes, workflow, quality, inventory to ensure department functions effectively and efficiently (gather team feedback and discuss process improvement ideas with department manager).
- Participate in implementation, maintenance and ongoing improvement of the SQF Food Safety system.
- Assist in training employees on all safety aspects of the equipment and check equipment is functioning in a safe, proper manner.
- Work collaboratively to minimize rework, lost product and/or other material waste due to errors.
- Encourage a good attitude towards continuous improvements to food safety systems and other processes in the department.
- Ensure appropriate reporting/documentation is complete, both for customers and for regulatory requirements.
- Assist new and current employees receive the proper training, utilizing the training procedures provided for the department.
- Make training opportunity recommendations to department manager in order to enhance department efficiencies, and meet or exceed safety and food safety goals.
- When applicable, assist with inventory control and maintaining par levels to avoid order shortages and lost time in production.
- Work with department manager to develop/adjust processes/systems in the department to promote growth and increase department efficiency
- Wear proper personal protective equipment and follow safety procedures, policies and guidelines
- Report safety concerns immediately to department manager
- Ability to handle non-linear tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to assign and delegate tasks.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, 40 degree temperature, and wet floor. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate and understand instructions. This position is very active and requires to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Must frequently Must be able to lift and/or move items up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a non-exempt full-time position. Hours of work and days are 3:30 pm to 12:00 am Monday through Friday, and Saturdays for business need.
Travel will be limited to growth opportunities (specialty courses) as offered by Department Manager.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Basic HACCP training within 30 days of hire and HACCP Certified within 6 months of hire (Provided by Lorentz Meats)
- Strong Leadership Skills
- Positive attitude
- Lead by Example
- Healthy work relationship with employees in the department and other departments in the plant
- Able to identify the strengths and weakness in employees and utilize their strengths
- Able to communicate clearly in order to improve on weaknesses and reinforce strengths within the team.
- Promote a team environment
- Strong communication skills
- Require a high level of communication within the department (strong liaison of communication between manager and floor) to avoid errors in production
- Strong multi-tasking and critical thinking skills
- Able to juggle multiple tasks and ensure that the department continues to operate at a high level
- Able to assess complex processes and make recommendations for process, food safety and human safety improvements within the department.
- Knowledge of Smokehouse operation
- Continuous training provided by Department Manager
- Ensure HACCP protocols are met